Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Thermometer Gauge Spiking on 2002 HC...Mechanic Couldn't Figure it out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Exclamation Thermometer Gauge Spiking on 2002 HC...Mechanic Couldn't Figure it out.

I've got a 2002 HC with about 140k miles on it and after my last oil change (at Walmart) it has started doing this weird thing with overheating. I typically drive long distances to work (~70 miles) and after I get off the interstate and stop at a light I'll idle for a moment. The thermostat will start rising when I take off slowly and the air conditioner will turn to warm air. It will continue to do this until I reach a higher rate of speed and does this in town until I shut down the engine.

I took it to my mechanic (the best in town) and he drove it around for a while trying to get it to pop up. It didn't so in turn he couldn't figure out what was possibly wrong.

Any ideas on what might be causing this. I saw a previous post on something similar and the issue was the head gasket or whatever. That could be the case but I haven't seen any condensation or smoke. The engine shows no visible signs of overheating aside from the a/c stopping and the thermostat going up. Help HCF! Help save my Civic! :-)

Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Overheating only while sitting still sounds like the radiator fan(s) quit. This will also cause the A/C to stop working. Overheating the engine typically does not stop the A/C. Both fans should run constantly when you idle with the A/C on. So next time it happens quickly pull over and pop the hood see if the fans are running. Avoid overheating as much as possible though.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:23 PM

What's the fix if it is the fans?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:34 PM

I believe there is a fan switch that goes bad on those which is located somewhere around the e-fan wiring. It's a cheap repair.

I hate to thread jack but I have a very similar problem with the same gen car, maybe would help solve op's problem as well. I don't appear to be losing much coolant at all if maybe just a little. If I idle for an extended period of time, the temp goes up. Gunning the engine or moving seems to fix the problem. Replaced t-stat, rad cap, and check for external leaks. Nothing. Pressure tested the radiator with success. No oil in coolant or vice versa and no noticeable performance loss. I have bled the coolant as well but it appears pressure is getting in from somewhere.