Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Temp gauge raises to red line

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:36 PM

thanks to all who posted. I'm going to start with checking the fan motor tomorrow. I went ahead and had them order a thermostat(should be in tomorrow) as well because I'm not really sure if it's ever been replaced. A friend of mine who had a 93 honda civic said I might be able to hook the a/c's fan pwr relay to the radiators fan instead of straight to the battery. I do know the a/c's fan does work. He also asked if it was overheating continually or just when I reached certain speeds. I thought for a moment and realized the temp gauge didn't start to rise until I went 60 mph or better. WHen it first started I automatically cut on the heater but slowed down to about 45mph all the way to the shop. During that time the gauge was about 3/4 of the way towards H. So I let it sit running today for about an hour and the temp never moved past the midway mark but once I got on the highway up to 60 it started to rise. I turned around and came back home and parked it. He said his similar problem was caused by a bad head gasket.

I'm not really sure what to think but like suggested before- I'll start with the fan and work up from there. I'll post back tomorrow with results if any.

Thanks again for all that replied!