Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Take off chatter - Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Default Take off chatter - Clutch?

Just bought 93 cx. I am finding that before the car warms up completely it is almost impossible to put the car into 1st gear without getting some "chatter". The problem does not continue once the car is warmed up. Has anyone else had the same issues and if so what is the problem? And by the way. I CAN drive stick.
thanks

Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Default RE: Take off chatter - Clutch?

i bought my 95 ex about 2 months ago and for the first 2 weeks or so that happened to me, i believe it was from the car not running for a while because the chatter went away about 300 miles later.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:24 PM

What do you mean exactly by chatter?
Is it like the clutch isn't entirely disengaged and the vehicle tries to move (or shudder) when you put it in gear?
Or
Is it tough to shift the car into gear?

If it's the first situation, you might need a simple clutch linkage adjustment (I don't know if a 93 uses a hydraulic or cable linkage). If it's hydraulic, the clutch cylinders probably dip into the same source as your brake fluid, so take a look under the hood and check that your brake fluid/clutch fluid resevoirs have enough fluid. But, double check (of course) your owners manual for these details.
Maybe, the problem stops when the car warms up because clearances/etc change as they're subjected to heat.

If it's the second situation, it could be something deeper involving activities inside the gearbox itself. It could be something in the 1st gear synchronizer assembly (like the little keys and the ring spring in the hub or something) that goes away once it's sufficiently lubed and warmed up.

Anyway, more details about the problem are always welcome.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:06 PM

i know what this is......................its u'r guys flywheel.....when my buddy put my new clutch in he had a hell of time rotating the fly wheel and he said he had it mostly there and that it would be ok. but 3k or 4k later i busted it up. just don't beat on it and it would fine.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The symptoms are as jrhaupt1 mentioned : "Is it like the clutch isn't entirely disengaged and the vehicle tries to move (or shudder) when you put it in gear". Problem has not gotten any better. Brfore I bought it the car had a newer engine put in about 20,000 ago. I noticed that they did put a new release bearing on but nothing else. Any more opinions knowing this? I am going to check fluids tonight and just keep taking it easy on the thing.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:12 PM

It sounds to me like your clutch isn't disengaging properly. If it has a hydraulic clutch I would try to bleed it, if it's a cable then an adjustment will fix it. Unless of course the cable is stretched beyond the adjuster limits, then it's time for a new cable.
xmctech