Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Sweet" smell inside car

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Default "Sweet" smell inside car

Honda Civic 2008 DX 4dr

Main Problem: "Sweet" smell inside car for 5 days

Background: Did not concern too much during first few days, brushed it off as some gum in the arm rest compartment. Aired out the car and removed anything that may remotely smell including ballpoint pens, car touch up pen, gum; however, the smell did not dissipate. In fact, it became more pronounced especially in the morning when I got into the car after it had been sitting idle over night. No obvious leaks seen under the hood. Left cardboard under car overnight but no leaks. No wet carpets.

Recent maintenance:
Replaced air filter and cabin filter (3-4 wks ago)
Deep carpet cleaning of seats and floor (3-4 wks ago)
Replaced TMPS sensor (1 wk ago)

Check up:
Firestone (few days ago) - quick visual inspection, no leaks visible, told that there may be leaks in the radiator core
Honda dealership (today) - full inspection of coolant system with injecting pressure, told that there is NO LEAKS, told that new aftermarket cabin filter may be the source having some spray treatment on it. Told to wait a few weeks until smell goes away.

I'm not sure if I buy that. What do you think? I know if it's a coolant leak, the ethylene glycol is poisonous. FYI, cabin filter i installed was bought from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Any input is appreciated!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 PM
HCF Member

I would have guessed a coolant leak. But you will usually find a wet area around the front carpets under the dash.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 PM

It's hard to say without actually being there to smell it. Too much time has passed for it to be a scent treatment on the filter, or even shampoo or soap residue in the carpet.

There are worse things for the interior to smell like... trust me.

You might try something like Febreeze. Spray all the cloth in the car and leave the windows down so it'll dry. See if that eliminates the smell.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 AM

The best way that I can describe the smell is like that of a fruit bubble gum smell with just a bit of an acetone from nail polish remover. I still smelled it this morning when I got into my car.

If the cause is the cabin filter like the dealer said, shouldn't the smell be most concentrated there? I took out the filter and put it up against my nose and didn't smell at all! What if I just remove the cabin filter completely? I suppose I can driving without the cabin filter would completely to rule it out.