Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sunroof is more manual than automatic...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Default Sunroof is more manual than automatic...

I bought my 94 ex a couple years ago and have had troubles with the sunroof since then. It vents open fine, but when I try to open it fully it seems like it doesn't slide back as far as it should. There are two notches on the rails but the sunroof stops a couple inches before those spots. I'm not sure how far the sunroof is supposed to slide back but it looks like it should go at least that far. Closing the sunroof is the biggest problem. Get ready to laugh at me here...I generally hit the close button with my big toe while pulling forward with both handson the sunroof so that it will move (it takes some force), and then I have to press the vent button to make it even out and then press the close button for it to close down flat on the roof. Often it will close unevenly if I don't put a hand up and give it some upward pressure while closing the vented roof.

So...basically I just want to know if this is something I can fix myself (I'm fairly confident it is) and I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good resource about how to fix my sunroof.

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-05-2007, 03:29 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sunroof is more manual than automatic...

Dont worry about it man. Every EG civic with a sunroof has this problem usually. Some worse than others. My brother had 2 EG coupes and they had that problem. Now I own one and it has that problem. I dont have to use as much force as you do though. I usually just have to keep it straight on the tracks and push a little for it to go.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:27 PM

ya just about every 5th gen. with sunroof has that problem. i pretty much never open mine up all the way, just prop it up. i believe the only way to fix it is a new motor which isnt a simple take out oldput in newkinda deal. gota take off the headliner and all that jazz..

Old 05-05-2007, 05:23 PM

Bummer. I tend to just vent it and avoid the problem, but my A/C also doesn't work (i'm making my car sound great here aren't I?) so when it starts getting hot, I like the sunroof open fully, I suppose I could try to figure out what's wrong with my A/C instead...

Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 PM
HCF Member

Im pretty sure the ac will cost more than the sunroof

Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 AM

OK, I slept on it and decided that I still want to give fixing my sunroof a try. Any direction you can point me in towards a how-to?