Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sudden AT Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Default Sudden AT Transmission Problem

I have an '01 Civic LX Sedan, bought it 2 years ago used after selling my first civic. Car had high milage on it when I bought it, but it had been regularly service at a local Honda dealer, not to mention I talked to the previous owner and she told me it was all highway miles from her job. The car was clean and like new inside and out. I have been driving the car daily back and forth to work and occasionally on a regular 400 mile trip I take with no problems, this car has been very reliable and mechanically sound. I drove the car to work all last week, but then over this New Years weekend my 18 year old son drove it for 2 days, he brought the car home and parked it. Yesterday I got it in to go to put gas in it so we could go on a family trip, after leaving the gas station I drove up a long hill and thought it felt like the transmission slipped a bit. Took it home and asked him if it happened to him, he said no. Being curious I took it for another short ride and stopped a an intersection in town and shifted the car from drive to nuetral, then park then back to drive while sitting still and the car would not move after that. Just for kicks I shut the car of for a second, started it back up and shifted right to drive, the car moved fine, then started to go up that hill again, the engine reved and the car was barely moving. I have checked the fluid, level seems fine and the fluid does not smell burnt. Thius car normally sits in a garage, the night before this happened it sat out in below zero temps all night and day, could this cause this...
I guess my question is does this sound like the transmission is junk?
Also wanted to mention that while sitting sometimes it will not go into any gear, I can freely shift through them trying each one and the car will not move, other times it will go into gear. The fluid does not smell burnt and is full.
I guess my question is does this sound like the transmission is junk? Or is it possible that my son could have bumped the gear shift while driving and sheared off a pin in the transmission or shift mechanism?

Last edited by iowacivic; 01-03-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling and adding more