Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

sudden loss of power, crappy idle (im stumped)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Default sudden loss of power, crappy idle (im stumped)

The other day while driving to work i let the engine bog down as i was cruising up to a light, and it kick a few times lettin me know to give it gas or push the clutch in.... so i gave it gas as usually but it kept kicking all the way up. Then it began randomly kicking. I pulled over, took the timing belt cover off the top and the belt seemed fine... so i drove on to work.

when i got close to work it just kept loosing power more and more till i finally had to get towed up hill near work and from here on out please remember im no mechanic:

First thing i did was pull a plug wire out: tip was oil so i figured the o rings in the valve cover gasket had went bad, and i like my car so i decided to go all out.... new gasket, and o rings, cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs (yeah i bought iridium, yes im a moron). Anyways, got it all back together and same problem. the oil eventually burned off and no that was the last of the smoking. Fuel filter was my next guess, so i pulled mine out and saw where it had just been changed 6 months ago (thank you shop that leaves notes on parts you replace.)

Gettin stumped, i cleaned the throttle body, and put injector cleaner in..... hard start, smoked the cleaner off.... still got a problem.
Compress test, very close to 150lbs all the way across. Checked for spark and each wire fires like a dream. No check engine light, oil is full and not polluted, antifreeze is full and very clean as well. My next idea is to check engine vacuum hoping that it could be the cat. other than that im out of ideas. please help

Old 03-21-2007, 09:16 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: sudden loss of power, crappy idle (im stumped)

i had the same problem, your primary oxygen sensor may have went out. go to your local parts store (such as auto zone) and they will have a scanner that you can use for free to check all the sensors on your car. if the scanner says that the primary or secondary sensor is bad, then that will explain your crappy idle, probable stalls at rest, lack of power, and horrible gas mileage. if the sensor is bad, then buy a new one, and rent the tool kit for free to install it on your own. just remember to use anti-seize on the threads to prevent it from rusting up next time. you probably won't have a cel yet, but the check engine light may come up any time if it's the sensor, or at least that's what happened in my case. that might be a problem, just check on that and post back what you found out.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

fuel pump maybe... any fuel lines. Changed the belts or checked any pulleys... idle sensor? youve got me, my car kinda idles low at a light and ive been checking on some stuff in the manuel. If you find out, let us know... could be useful good luck!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

Its either your Primary o2 like mentioned, or have you checked your air filter? MyCAI filter got frozen over from snow and slush last week and did the same exact thing.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:18 PM

sorry i should have been more specific. I have a 94 civic dx 5 speed. Yesterday i ran a vacuum check just out of curiousity and someting intresting happened. At idle it was 7-8 (hg i think is how its measured) at mid throttle it is 12-13.... which seems kind of backwards to me. Again i thought "TIMING", but then again if it was that kind of bad timing how would i have got such solid compression numbers?

Tomorrow im going to try and get it to flash every code its got, check voltage at THE o2 sensor, and fuel pump if possible.

Also just found out on most hondas around my year, all you have to do to activate the code sequence is find a plug under the glove box and stick a paper clip from one post to another with the key on...... groovy, ill keep ya posted.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:01 PM

Didnt have much time to play with it today, found no codes by trippin it though. Sprayed engine down but no vacuum leaks. I have noticed that there is a very suction like sound coming through the airbox very similar to what CAI's sound like.... but i see no clogs distortions or leaks.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:37 AM
HCF Member

Is the car running now? Since you had it towed and replaced all of the parts you replaced?
[align=left] [/align]