Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stutters and runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 AM
HCF Member
Default Stutters and runs rough

OK here is my problem along with the event proceeding it. I am unsure if they are relevant but will post them anyway.

INFO: D16Y7, 293xxxkm, aftermarket header, magnaflow cat, catback exhaust. New 02 sensors in January.

Back in the beginning of July I was driving and my car started to overheat. I pulled over to find crack in the top plastic tank my radiator that would cause coolant to boil out when my car got up to temperature. I ordered a CX racing replacement radiator and while I waited for it to arrive I put a patch of high temperature, high pressure, waterproof red peramtex silicone sealant. his made an almost full seal but it still could boil away. I checked the coolant before I started he car each trip and kept it full of water. During the time I was waiting for the replacement part I only COOKED the engine (ran temp gauge to top due to lake of coolant in system) once. This was due to it being EXTREMELY hot and humid and the engine was running hotter then normal so the coolant escaped faster. As soon as I had realized what was happening I pulled off, popped the hod, waited for it to cool a bit and refilled the system.

PROBLEM:

After installed the radiator the car has twice now done the following

1. Start car

2. car runs rough and stutters, as if it is only running on 3 cylinders. CEL will flash a few times as if hesitating then come on and stay on. (AND no I did not check what it was)

3. If I turn off the car and remove the battery terminal and wait 20-30 seconds and reconnect it then restart car it will run perfectly fine, no stutters and no CEL.

I realize this is not a lot to go on and yes i should have checked the codes but both times it occurred I needed to be somewhere and had no time to perform any diagnostics beyond checking all connections and fluid levels.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

With a coolant leak like the one you had, you should have replaced the radiator immediately. Letting the engine overheat is a recipe for disaster.

Originally Posted by Tiran
2. car runs rough and stutters, as if it is only running on 3 cylinders. CEL will flash a few times as if hesitating then come on and stay on. (AND no I did not check what it was)
Pull the codes and get back to us. The blinking CEL suggests severe misfiring. Check the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. It would also be wise to compression test the cylinders, considering that you let the engine severely overheat.