Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

stumble/egr valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Default stumble/egr valve

I have a '97 civic HX with 308K mi. My check engine light came on and I flashed the code and double checked it with the local auto parts store...code 80 egr vlv or insufficent flow. I replaced the egr vlv. and removed the intake and egr chamber cover andcleaned out passages, and double checked exhaust flow at the egr port w/engine running. I reset the computer by removing the negative battery cable, and I still get the check engine light and code 80. I don't know if the stumble that the car has (taking off from a stop) is related or not but the both of them are driving me to drink. The car has new plug wires and plugs and cap and rotor are in good condition. I've cleaned the intake air control valve too. Timing is spot on. Any ideas? The car runs great after the stumble from stand still and accellerates well from there.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 AM
gwl
HCF Member
Default RE: stumble/egr valve

I have 97 HX with 268,000 miles on it. I had the same problem with EGR errors. At the time, I thought the EGR valve was bad but come to find out a lot cars that uses an EGR usually the problem is created by block passage ways in the intake manifold. This is what I did. I removed the EGR valve, started the motor, and sprayed carb cleaner into EGR cavity. As soon the intake was cleared up, my motor started to surge as if there was a vacuum leaked. It took awhile to get it cleaned up, I think I even let it soak awhile with some carb cleaner because I could see the EGR port was clogged up pretty bad.

If you still have your original EGR valve, put it back on after you spray some carb cleaner in your intake with your engine running.

BTW, does your motor surge when you remove the EGR valve?

Old 02-21-2007, 07:18 AM

I have removed the intake and cleaned the port as well as the chamber on the intake under the fuel rail. When I removed the egr vlv, the exhaust flow was very good from the port and the engine ran ok without any surging. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

bump this thread b/c both myself (96 HX w/ 245K) and my girl (97 HX w/ 186K) have the exact same problem, for awhile now, and have done the same thing snickers did, but still run the code!?

Not too big of a deal, but getting 37-38 mpg instead of in the 40s like it used to!