Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Strange power loss issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Default Strange power loss issue

I just put a cone filter on the end of the stock intake tube the other day and it's been running great ever since except for one thing. So far it's only happened to me twice but just when I was sort of coasting in first and put the gas to the floor the enginalmost died out just for a second then it picked right up like normal. What could this be? Vacuum leak or something maybe? I should also note that the odd time the idle will go up and down when its cold. this has also only happened to me a few times since I bought the car 2 weeks ago.

Thanks a lot

Old 06-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Default RE: Strange power loss issue

So I think I might've found the problem. Since it's only when I put the pedal to the floor I'm thinkin it could be the fuel filter just a little clogged up or something?

Old 06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Could be. Generally when you have a clogged fuel filter, it would not like to stay running wide open either. But a little maintenance like new filters on a used car you've just bought is never a bad idea.

If it persists, put the intake back to stock and see if the problem is still there. It could also be the throttle position sensor, but that should light your check engine light.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:15 AM

Yeah, well I'll be replacing the filter probably sometime this weekend, it almost stalled on me again last night but just when I was taking off and it bogged right out for a second when I started to let the clutch out and give it gas so hopefully that fixes the problem.

Yeah the engine light's not on so I didnt think it would be a sensor. According to the Helms manual it could be caused by the fuel pump, filter or an injector in that order - I just hope its not the pump.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 AM

sounds like when i ride my dirt bike and its out of gas if you open it up full throttle and will just bog. i say its the fuel filter to.