Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

strange engine noises??? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Default strange engine noises??? Anyone?

Ok so I've heard of when you initially put torque on the engine by pressing the gas if it kind of makes an un-smooth bearing noise then that could be bad. Now I just have a D16Z6 and I know that I can get a block for cheap, but I don't really have the money to do that right now. Or want to do that.

The engine runs smooth up until about 3k RPM and it makes a kind of rougher noise, not like combustion wise, but like when you have a bad bearing. Now, this would only be noticeable to a very tuned ear, nobody would normally notice anything out of place. As a matter of fact, I think that my old car did this a little bit. I just thought it was valve clatter. Anyways, I know I might be wasting my time here because it's hard to describe without actually hearing it, I'm just wondering if anyone who knows of this issue has any information on if that's kind of a normal noise to hear at 170k miles or if it's something to worry about? Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Default RE: strange engine noises??? Anyone?

hey man, i have a d16z6 also and i experienced the same "valve chatter" on my 190,000 mile motor. just recently the noise got a lot worse all of a sudden, but i thought it was a hole in my exhaust. turns outi had spun a bearing inside and i'm getting it remanufactured. start saving up for a replacement. the short block will be cheaper (im paying 2000 for an entire rebuild) but i feel more secure getting EVERYTHING replaced at one time. its going to save a lot of hassle in the long run and i love my coupe so its worth it. i'm in school so i don't have any $$$ or i would swap. i would recommend a swap, you pick up 40hp with a b16 for about the same amount of money as a rebuild. i dont have any options right now tho... hope that helps. good luck.