Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Messing with it some more and found that the fuel pump doesn't always prime. But, the starting issue is still present when it does prime. Tried priming it three times as I did in my last post...this time it still wouldn't start.

I'm thinking a new fuel pump is in my future (along with filter, of course).

Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You might also want to consider the main relay, which supplies power to the fuel pump. Bad main relays are more common than bad fuel pumps. The main relay is located to the right of the glove box.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 PM

Alright, so the pump not always priming may be a bad main relay. Check.

The engine not always starting (even after fuel system primed) could be fuel filter, IACV and/or fast idle valve.

Any other suggestions?

Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by DubtecV2
Alright, so the pump not always priming may be a bad main relay. Check.

The engine not always starting (even after fuel system primed) could be fuel filter, IACV and/or fast idle valve.

Any other suggestions?
All could possibly point to a bad main relay. You could try resoldering it:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainr...mainrelay.html

http://www.marklamond.co.uk/tech-hon...main-relay.htm

Old 12-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

After thought -- The problem could also possibly be the ignition switch. This might be evident if the dash lights turn OFF at key position II when the engine won't stay running.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ
After thought -- The problem could also possibly be the ignition switch. This might be evident if the dash lights turn OFF at key position II when the engine won't stay running.
This, too, has happened from time to time. I think I'll focus on the other possibilities first, though. Even if they aren't the cause, it wouldn't hurt to clean/replace!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Alright. Please post any updates so that we can learn from your experience.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 PM

Well, I haven't had any starting issue since my last post (typical...). I went ahead and replaced the Main Relay. Replacing the fuel filter (and spark plugs) tonight. Ordered all the gaskets and o-rings for the EACV and Fast Idle Valve. When those come in I'll clean both valves well.

Hope for the best!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:28 PM

I think it was most definitely your main relay. I had the same exact problem, took apart my main relay and re-soldered its connections, and haven't had the problem since.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:49 PM

11 days later....

Starting problem, for the most part, has been resolved. It still doesn't start on the first try from time to time, but I have a feeling that it's a loose ignition switch (when it dies, err doesn't start, none of the dash lights come on unless I turn the key back a tiny bit). It always starts the second try, though, and without aid of the gas pedal. I'll bet I just hold the key that much longer on the 2nd attempts, allowing it to start.

On a second note, today I cleaned and replaced gaskets for the EACV and FIV (EACV screen was NASTY). May just be in my head, but the car seems to run smoother, be easier to start, and maybe even a little peppier off-idle. We'll see if this has an effect on my stating issue.

On a third note, I knew my distributor o-ring was leaking (have one on order), but I didn't know that oil could reach inside the distributor cap and get caked onto the terminals. Two were partially caked with oil, one was completely black. Once I get the o-ring installed I'll replace the cap/rotor/wires...I wonder how much better it'll run considering it runs pretty well now.

Last edited by DubtecV2; 12-20-2008 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Starting issue