Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Default Starting issue

Searched, but to no avail.

Just picked up a '92 DX sedan for a daily beater. Runs fabulous, but it's difficult to start.

It cranks healthy and everything, but in order for it to run you must hold the key for a couple seconds after the initial fire and give it a little gas, otherwise it will immediately die. What might cause this?

From what I was told, most of the sensors around the engine bay have been replaced within the last couple years, as was the starter and plugs/wires/dist. cap and rotor.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When you turn the ignition key to ON (position II), does the CEL stay ON or does it turn ON and then OFF after a few seconds?

When you turn the ignition key to ON (position II), do you immediately hear the low humming sound of fuel pump priming for about 2 seconds around the fuel tank in the rear?

Do you have the starting problem regardless of whether the engine is cold or hot?

Last edited by RonJ; 12-07-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:45 PM

CEL turns off

Fuel pump is operative

Has the issue regardless of temperature

Old 12-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the fuel pump properly primes even prior to a hard start, then I'd recommend that you next focus on the distributor. You might have a failing coil or igniter unit. Start by opening the distributor and carefully inspecting the coil and igniter unit for damage and the wire connections for corrosion or looseness. Also double check the contact points of the rotor and distributor cap while they are disassembled.

Name:  picture_1736.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  53.4 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 12-07-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Additional thoughts:

If the distributor seems fine, then:

1) Replace the fuel filter ($20)
2) Clean the IACV/EACV on the throttle body (see forum DIY section).

Name:  picture_1739.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  picture_1738.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  picture_1740.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  36.9 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 12-07-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Once started, does it always run properly?

My bet is on the IACV, or the fast idle valve. Both of those should be wide open to let air into the intake when it is cold. The fact that you have to open the throttle manually suggests that it's not getting enough air.

Also check your spark timing, that could make it hard to start. That's a routine thing that should be checked anyway anytime you buy a used Civic.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Once started, does it always run properly?

My bet is on the IACV, or the fast idle valve. Both of those should be wide open to let air into the intake when it is cold. The fact that you have to open the throttle manually suggests that it's not getting enough air.

Also check your spark timing, that could make it hard to start. That's a routine thing that should be checked anyway anytime you buy a used Civic.
Yes, it always runs great once started.

Noticed this morning that it will start right up immediately after being driven for a little bit (~1.5mi). Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and it becomes difficult again.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by DubtecV2
Yes, it always runs great once started.

Noticed this morning that it will start right up immediately after being driven for a little bit (~1.5mi). Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and it becomes difficult again.
This sounds like hard starting specifically when the engine is cold, as I inquired about in my first post. Given the absence of CEL codes, first clean the Fast Idle Valve as you would the IACV.

Name:  picture_1741.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  99.6 KB

Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Ok, scratch the temperature making a difference. This evening after work the engine was dead cold and fired right up..

What I did was allow the fuel pump to prime the system three times. This means the pump is going south, yes? Or could it just be the filter...

Old 12-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

First make sure that the fuel pump always primes when you have the hard starting problem. Regardless, replace the fuel filter as it is cheap and easy. If that doesn't fix the problem, then measure the fuel pressure:

Name:  picture_1743.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  101.1 KB

Quick Reply: Starting issue