Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Default Stalling issue

Hey guys new to the forums. I have a 99 civic ex with about 200,000 miles on her. So heres the deal. About 2 weeks ago I came to a stop sign, put it in nuetral and the rpms dropped and car stalled. As long as its in gear it will drive but as soon as i engage the clutch or leave it in nuetral, the rpms drop and it comes close to stalling or does stall. I put in a new battery and the problem went away for about a week. Today I just cleaned out my IAC, and now its starting again. What the hell do you think the problem is? When it starts its fine. But WHen it warms up and I start driving, it acts up.

Thanks for any help!!

Shane

Old 02-28-2010, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

Is the check engine light on? When was the last time you did a tune up (plugs, wires, cap and rotor)? Have you checked your ignition timing?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

i'm really not sure what it is, but mine did that when i came to a stop or at a light, i replaced the sparkplugs and the problem went away, but i dunno.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:08 PM

within the last couple weeks spark plugs and wires have been replaced. I just replaced the fuel filter and its not dying anymore. But rpms drop to about 500 and interior lights dim. Could that possibly be the alternator?

Thanks for the replys!

Shane

Old 02-28-2010, 05:14 PM

Is the battery light coming on? If the lights are dimming, it's likely a power issue. Start checking chassis grounds for corrosion. Take the car to an Autozone or somewhere like it and ask them to check your alternator out. Most places do it free.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:22 PM

I will have them check that. It has a new battery in it.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by norbster86
Is the check engine light on?
This...

Old 02-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Also, does the Check Engine Light work? Should turn on for a few seconds when you first turn the key.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:32 AM

CEL is not on. THe light does work. Car has new battery,ignition coil, timing belt, plugs and wires, and fuel filter. all have been done within the last month. I also cleaned out my IAC and unplugged it and it stalled. Since replacing my fuel filter last night the car dosent stall. The rpms stay around 500 rpms. Im going to have my alternator tested today.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you clean the passages leading to the IACV? They could be clogged too.

Open up the air screw on the throttle body (and check it's passage for clogs). You want to get it to run about 400 or 500 rpm with the IACV unplugged. Then when plugged back in, a normal idle of about 750 should be established. If the idle does not increase like that when plugging in the IACV, the valve is likely bad.

The air screw should be on the top of the EX throttle body. It's a big flathead screw. Do not adjust the little screw that stops the throttle plate lever.

Quick Reply: Stalling issue