Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS Indicator On

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Default SRS Indicator On

I just bought a 01 honda Civic ex (si). I noticed that the SRS indicator is on. Any ideas why this could be. The airbags are fine and the car was modded before i got it (its got an AEM air intake and custom plugs).

thanks for the help in advance

Old 12-08-2005, 03:39 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: SRS Indicator On

Welcome to the forum! Your SRS light is on because your air bags have gone faulty or the sensor has. They also could have been tampered with. Who knows.

Go by an Advanced Auto Parts to get a free ECU scan. Find out what code it throws, and come back to us for ellaboration.

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2005, 03:55 PM
HCF Member

I'm not sure if the SRS indicator would give you a problem code. The OBDII check engine light is different from the SRS light, however it is worth a shot. Check to see if there is a code. Also, I noticed that my SRS light came on when the battery, or alternator was weak. The low voltage trips the SRS light. That can also happen if you have a very powerful amp that surges current and causes low voltage conditions momentarily.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the info guys. It is surprising now that I look at it, coz the check engine light is also on. It wasn't on initially, only about a week or so ago. I'll go to advance auto and see what i can come up with.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

Your check engine light could very well be a faulty 02 sensor.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:25 PM

When I bought the car the dealer said he replaced the o2 sensors (both). I also checked my gas mileage and I'm getting somwhere around 22 mpg, which is really bad, which leads me to suspect that there is something wrong with the o2 sensors. what is confusing me right now is , if the dealer did replace the sensors (i'm assuming this coz the check engine light went out after he replaced the sensor) then how can they be faulty so quickly. any ideas?

Old 12-08-2005, 05:04 PM
HCF Member

get the code read, there are many many codes that can come up. No one can really say what it is without getting it read. Bad mileage has many causes, so even that can be due to something else.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 AM

Ok, i got the check engine light checked and the guy said it could be either the converter or the o2 sensors. as for the srs indicator he had no idea.

i'm guessing that the converter's gone bad, and after looking up prices for it gave me a nasty surprise. a stock converter costs around $500 bucks. any ideas where i could get a more affordable one. i'm still clueless on the srs light.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 PM
HCF Member

the code was probably a p0420 right? That would be cat inefficiency. Yes it could be a bad second O2 sensor(after the cat) or a cat. My guess would also be a cat since the second O2 sensor doesn't go out as often. Post up the exact code #. Unfortunatly our cats are expensive. Depending on where you live you could get a high flow aftermarket for about 120 or so. In Cali we cannot, but I think summit and other online places have those cats. They will not last as long as OEM, but they will flow better and clear your code.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:09 AM

ebay's got cats galore for like 30 bucks.
can't imagine they're much good but yea they'll clear yer code.

Quick Reply: SRS Indicator On