Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

squeaking noises.. caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Default squeaking noises.. caliper?

Hello everyone! I own a 2006 Civic and have had it since Nov. 2005. I only have 33,000 miles on it, but in the past month I have heard strange noises while backing up and driving.

First, when I let go of the break to back up, I hear a high-pitched noise for the entire time I back up, which goes away when I put the car in drive. This has happened on and off for the past month.

Second, while driving I hear a squeaking sound that goes away when breaking. I had my dad listen to it (he didn't check anything out, just listened) and he said it sounded like the "caliper".

I'm not a car savvy person, and I'm afraid to go to a mechanic for fear of being taken advantage of

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Other people who I've asked said with such little mileage, nothing could truly be wrong. Any other opinions? Help!!!

- Jessica

Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The noise when going backward, does it also occur if you put the transmission in neutral and let the car roll backward down a hill? If it only occurs in reverse gear, it's probably from inside the transmission, which is not good. About all you can do with an automatic is check the fluid level and change the fluid. I think at 30,000 miles it is supposed to be changed.

The brake pads have squeaker springs that warn you when they are almost worn out. They make a squeaking when not braking. You need to take the wheels off to inspect the pads for wear. It is entirely possible to wear out brake pads in 30,000 miles.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:56 AM

^Do what he said.

Also, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but if you're not car savvy and you're not going to go to a mechanic, you need to either become somewhat car savvy, have a friend who is car savvy, or just go to a mechanic. Don't ever let yourself end up going without having maintenance taken care of... that's how people end up with cars having major problems earlier than they should. Take care of it and it will continue to be reliable for a very long time.
Good luck

Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 AM

Hey Everyone and thank you for your responses. I spoke with my friend who used to be a mechanic and he told me that the noise is most likely the sensors on my brake pads. Sure enough, I went to a mechanic who is a family friend and he said that I just needed new brake pads. After he replaced them, he explained a a few things to me which really provided clarification. Now, the squeaking has stopped.. I'm so relieved!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

Originally Posted by mk378
It is entirely possible to wear out brake pads in 30,000 miles.
how about like around 10,000, most likely less? becuase 3 days after i got my pads, rotors, and master cylender changed, i took the car back to the shop and they were out of business, and my car hasnt stopped squeeking since. is it possable to wear them out that fast?