Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedometer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:41 AM
HCF Member
Default Speedometer Problem

I have a '98 LX. The speedometer does not read properly. It reads FASTER than the speed I am traveling. For instance, if my speedometer reads 58,I am actually going 55. I have not determined for sure whether it is the same amount faster no matter the speed or if it is propotional (i.e.: more/less different the faster/slower I go). I know from experience (and simple math) in my truck that I put 35" tires on, that with bigger tires the speedometer will readLESS than you are going, and it is proportional to your speed. So this tells me that if it is a tire size problem then that means I have smaller tires on the car than I should. I do not think this is the case because if I put on any bigger of a tire it probably wouldn't fit in the wheel well. It seems as though my odometer is correct. So that would also rule out the tire size issue. I don't like having to drive while trying to figure out what speed I'm actually going. So my question is, what could be the problem? I called the dealer about this and they said the only thing they could do is put a new speedometer on it. Isn't there an adjustment somewhere?

Thanks,

Scott

Old 05-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Speedometer Problem

If the odometer is definitely accurate while the speedometer is not, then you probably need to replace the speedometer. I am not aware of a way to adjust it.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

double check a couple things. Check your odometer on a few different days, on different roads just to be sure. Other thing to check is compare your tire size to what stock is supposed to be. If you got aftermarket wheels I think TireRack.com has a tire-size calculator to make sure you got the right size skins on. Hope you get to the bottom of your problem!

Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

You should be running a P185/65R14. Andif you have a P185/60R14 then that would explain your speedo discrepancy.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: SilverSedan

double check a couple things. Check your odometer on a few different days, on different roads just to be sure. Other thing to check is compare your tire size to what stock is supposed to be. If you got aftermarket wheels I think TireRack.com has a tire-size calculator to make sure you got the right size skins on. Hope you get to the bottom of your problem!
ORIGINAL: TheJGB3

You should be running a P185/65R14. And if you have a P185/60R14 then that would explain your speedo discrepancy.
guys, if his tires were the wrong size, that still doesn't explain the speedometer being off while the odometer is accurate.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:43 AM
HCF Member

Unless I'm wrong I believe the speedo and the odometer get their "signal" from the same spot (older cars it was the speedo cable from the trans, newer cars its electronic) in this case I believe its cable driven. If I'm wrong please correct me (I like to learn this stuff too)

Old 08-01-2008, 03:29 AM
HCF Member

I've checked my speed and no matter what speed I'm driving, the speedometer is about 3 mph wrong. Does the needle of the speedometer come off? I ask this because I was thinking that if it comes off and has teeth type of connection (like a gear) then maybe I could just pull it off and put it back on in a slightly different position and then it would read the speed properly. Does that sound like it might work?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 AM
HCF Member

that or you could turn your gauge face a little bit haha, but no the pin doesnt come off

Old 08-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by sday88
I've checked my speed and no matter what speed I'm driving, the speedometer is about 3 mph wrong. Does the needle of the speedometer come off? I ask this because I was thinking that if it comes off and has teeth type of connection (like a gear) then maybe I could just pull it off and put it back on in a slightly different position and then it would read the speed properly. Does that sound like it might work?
What makes you absolutely convinced that the speedometer reading is incorrect?

If you know the speedometer reading is incorrect, have you definitively ruled out the possibility that the misreading is due to improper tire/wheel size?

Old 08-01-2008, 10:48 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
What makes you absolutely convinced that the speedometer reading is incorrect?

If you know the speedometer reading is incorrect, have you definitively ruled out the possibility that the misreading is due to improper tire/wheel size?
Tire/wheel size is correct. And if it weren't, the odometer would also be wrong, but it's not.

Three reasons I'm sure the speedometer reads wrong and that it is about three mph off no matter what speed I am going:

1) I have followed my wife in her car while talking on the phone about our speeds. I know, not too accurate, but it still confirms numbers 2 and 3 below.

2) I have checked it with those "your speed" signs at construction zones. In all other vehicles I've been in, those signs are right on.

3) I have a gps unit that reads speed in mph. It reads pretty accurately based on using it in other vehicles, and confirms the above.

Originally Posted by mcmichael13
that or you could turn your gauge face a little bit haha, but no the pin doesnt come off
I actually thought of doing that. :-)

Quick Reply: Speedometer Problem