Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedometer dropping, music shutting off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Default Speedometer dropping, music shutting off?

Yesterday I was driving and I had my music on and then randomly my music shut off for like 5 seconds and my speedometer dropped real quick but came back up. Then a few moments later, My music shut off again for 5 seconds, but my speedometer didn't drop the second time.

Anybody have an idea what the problem would be? Is it ok to drive for the time being? (Bringing it in to the shop to get a few things fixed early next week)

PS-just had the distributor block replaced, if that would effect anything...

Old 03-27-2010, 09:21 PM
HCF Member

that sounds wierd. check to see if the speedometer and the music shuts off when your at a dead stop. if it does your alternator could be going bad "dead stop, engines idling at normal, charge output is low" but when your driving the alt speeds up and puts out more voltage. my moms cavalier cluster goes dim and the heater fan slows down when im at a dead stop. that could be a problem. try to be as specific as you can "what exactly happened when the music cut off". that can help us alot help you find your problem