Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

speed sensor problem? 95 EJ1

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Default speed sensor problem? 95 EJ1

hey i dunno if this is a common problem but its worth asking. my speed sensor is acting up. it only works when it feels like it but i think it could be a loose connection. it works every once in a while but most of the time is just spikes in and out for the hell of it. here is a video showing what it does every so often. it does this while im driving too so i dont know the actual speed im driving which kinda sucks.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...Movie_0001.flv

can someone help me troubleshoot?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: speed sensor problem? 95 EJ1

Information in this recent thread may help:

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_535256/tm.htm

Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

My dad owns a 96 Civic Lx. He had the same problem. We went to a junk yard got another speed gauge rolled the mileage so itcould read the same as the other one and problem solve didn't do it ever again. This happened about 7 months ago but your problem could be different..Good luck

Old 01-04-2008, 06:40 PM

hmm changing out the odometer is illegal and i plan on selling this car this summer so i dont want to do that.

and ronj that was really helpful i was thinking it was an electrical problem. my speedo, odo and trip meter all dont work and the speedo jumps when the car starts so im going to check the fuses.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the troubleshooting detailed in the pictures shown in the thread doesn't lead to resolution of the problem, then next check for an electrical short in the speed sensor wires/harness in the engine compartment.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:39 PM
June 2010 ROTM

If the speedo and odometer don't work:
A. COMMON: It's the Speedo Sensor on the transmission
B. RARE: The gear inside the transmission is broken
C. RARE: The wiring has a short somewhere

If the speedo doesn't work and the odometer works"
A. COMMON: It's the gauge in the cluster
B. RARE: The cluster's wire paths are messed up

So, it sounds like it's your speedo sensor

Old 01-04-2008, 08:55 PM

well sometimes when i start the car some of my accessories wont kick on like my hu and my gtech pro connected to the cigarette adapter. the car just seems like it has a bad electrical system like sometimes the climate controls will light up and sometimes they wont. i dunno im going to view all the wiring and make sure everything is snug and seal them off and change any fuses that went bad or just change them for the hell of it. i have a giant box of fuses so what could it hurt. ill try everything tomorrow if nothing works then ill buy a new sensor.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:57 PM

i have a 2000. 96 to 2000 same gauge cluster. i replaced the speedometer sensor to no avail then a new battery also a waste. then checked the wiring not a problem. then off to a junkyard for a actual speedometer part or cluster as they call them. by the way a cluster at a junkyard cost me like 35 bucks and the shipping on one from the net is like 15 bucks. I had a dealer check that speedometer sensor for free so do that before you replace it. It by the way can be changed in like 10 minutes. The speedometer cluster has 6 screws and takes about 5 minutes to change. i changed mine and all was well. but as i did not like the new miles racked up on the replacement i had taken the face off the cluster. take out the four screws on the back of the speedometer part and you will find a 3 inch size computer board that plugs in easily. I change the new one from the junkyard to the old one with the correct miles and whala all is great!!!!! now i have an extra tach and bulbs and such for later which was tonight i found out. personally i'd go here first.