Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speaker/Headunit Complications?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Default Speaker/Headunit Complications?

Okay, well wen I got the car (92 civic dx 5spd) the guy had a pioneer head in it and a amp in the back with a set of tweeters. Now he was very persistent on taking all this wen he sold it to me but I didn't think anything of it. Now I put my kicker amp in and then ran the speakers to the amp...the speakers sounded crystal clear until I turned the car on and it had some slight whining electrical engine noise, but for the most part sounded good. Was driving one day pulled into a gas station and all the sudden the left front/rear speakers went out, but the right side sounded mint...continued driving like this for a day or two then the left side went...I tried running the wires straight to my head because I thot it was my amp nothing. tried a different amp nothing. and tried a different headunit (Kenwood) with my kicker amp nothing. Can any1 help me? Me and my buddy are really confused cuz even if all 4 speakers wer blown, wudnt they still work but just sound bad? is the amp overheating? is it a bad wire somewhere? idk wat to do except maybe im think the guy had tweeters in for a reason, but still dsnt explain while suddenly none of the speakers will work at ALL now. Keep in mind we have tried 2 different head units and 2 different amps. Any suggestions wud be appreciated, cuz im sure u all kno how annoying it is to drive around with no music lol.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Speakers can blow in a way that they just go silent. If you were playing it loud at the time I'd definitely suspect blown speakers.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Just covering the basics here, take one speaker out, use a fresh wire to go from it to a known working head unit. No adapters, splices, nothing but radio-wire-speaker. If it doesn't play like that then yes it is dead. If it does play then you need to find the bad connection in your wiring.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Guna try that and let u kno