Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sparking in Fusebox

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:36 AM
HCF Member
Default Sparking in Fusebox

so apparently.... the wiring coming into my fusebox has been sparking, which could lead to the problem with my battery dying. the connection is just melting and there are burn marks on the cover. there are two wires running into that fuse box (the one under the hood next to the battery)

the upper i have going to the positive terminal of the battery, and the lower into the wiring harness which i think leads to the alternator. if i'm reading the haynes manual right, those are supposed to be switched... though it may not really matter... however the one coming from the alternator is the one that is sparking...

any help on what the problem could be?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Are the screws tight? You may have to change the box out if the connections are all melted. There is supposed to be a little tab on the terminal of one of the wires so they can't be hooked up the wrong way.

Yes the other wire comes from the alternator, and if it isn't securely connected the alternator won't be able to charge the battery.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 AM
HCF Member

the battery seems to be charging though bc i will jump start it in the morning... drive to work, unhook the battery while i'm at work, and then reconnect it when i'm leaving and be able to start it right up...

maybe the two are unrelated, but this is the reason for my new hatch haha cant wait to get the motor dropped in