Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 PM
HCF Member
Default spark plug question

I have a 1999 Honda Civic LX and I'm planning on getting the spark plugs changed. I have a service manual that says to use certain NGK or DENSO plugs, it specifies NGK5F-11 but at my local Kragen they only have NGK5FIX-11. I was also planning on having a mechanic do it with the oil change I'm planning to get since neither my Dad nor I have the right sized tools to remove the plugs from that deep hole. So, I was planning on just buying the plugs and getting the mechanic to put them in to make sure the right ones are installed.

#1- Does it really matter what brand spark plug I use, whether the one specified in the manual or whatever a mechanic would put in at a shop?
#2- What does the IX mean on the NGK5FIX-11?
#3- What tool/size allows you to remove the spark plugs in that deep hole?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: spark plug question

Not sure about part numbers. All you need to remove the spark plugs from a civic is a spark plug socket and an extension for your ratchet. You can get this from Sears or any parts store. Its not very expensive (especially if you buy from AutoZone). The civic will need a 5/8in spark plug socket. If you plan on working on cars, go out and buy a mechanics tool set (I recommend Craftsman from Sears). They generally have all the tools you need to do basic work. I have a 250 piece Craftsman set and I have all the tools I need for most work. Spark plugs aren't very difficult to change if you know what you are doing and the way I see it, I would much rather put money into tools than pay labor for a mechanic.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: zachattack

I have a 1999 Honda Civic LX and I'm planning on getting the spark plugs changed. I have a service manual that says to use certain NGK or DENSO plugs, it specifies NGK5F-11 but at my local Kragen they only have NGK5FIX-11. I was also planning on having a mechanic do it with the oil change I'm planning to get since neither my Dad nor I have the right sized tools to remove the plugs from that deep hole. So, I was planning on just buying the plugs and getting the mechanic to put them in to make sure the right ones are installed.

#1- Does it really matter what brand spark plug I use, whether the one specified in the manual or whatever a mechanic would put in at a shop?
#2- What does the IX mean on the NGK5FIX-11?
#3- What tool/size allows you to remove the spark plugs in that deep hole?
Brand doesn't really matter, but construction and materials of the plug do. NGK is the norm for a decent stock-typeplug for Hondas. I'm not sure what the IX means, but NGK should have some info on their website. Somebody else here might know too.

There's no good reason to pay a mechanic tochange plugs on a '99 LX. It doesn't get any easier. You don't even have to crawl underneath or get dirty (wear gloves).

Buy/Download a Factory Service Manual. It'll save you a bundle the first time you use it for any real work.

Go to Sears and get a basic metric socket set with a ratchet. If it doesn't include a sparkplug socket that fits your car (5/8 with a rubber insert)and an extension, buy them separately. Pick up a set of jackstands, an oilfilter wrench,and a sparkplug gapping tool. With a proper drainpan, you're now ready to change your own oil and filter, as well as change your plugs and wires. Add in aratcheting bitset, an adjustable wrench, and some visegrips and you'll be able to do quite a bit more.

I can understand having someone else change your oil and filter if you don't like getting dirty or you don't have a driveway. Some places are cheap enough and quick enough to justify that. But changing plugs on the '99 LX is too simple to pay somebody else to do it. I did my '00 plugs in the street in about 15 minutes, and I was taking my time to do it anally-retentive correct (anti-seized threads, check the gaps, new wires, dielectric grease in the boots, etc). This was just a few minutes before I packed the car up to hit the road for FL.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

Well I've never done any work on a car before, and I had to have the oil changed by a certified mechanic to certify the engine warranty.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 PM
HCF Member

Get NGK or Denso spark plugs required for your model!
Originaly Hondas come with NGK, as the guy before siad and they're a little cheaper than Denso,
but there is no much difference in the quality. They're mostly the same quality.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:04 AM
HCF Member

The dealer will have the correct plugs and they're actually a good price (depending on the dealer)

Old 08-29-2007, 03:37 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Just go to any auto store and buy the NGK plugs for your car, best way to go.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:23 AM
HCF Member

My Dad and I got the extender bar and the spark plugs and changed em. Man were those things old and worn down. Haha.

Old
Name:  IMG_0026_RESIZED.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  18.9 KB

New
Name:  IMG_0025_RESIZED.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  14.6 KB

Old 09-02-2007, 06:41 PM
HCF Member

pimpininaz I would appreciate it if you would refrain from making condescending comments like that, I'm sure everyone else would too.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:03 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, that's kind of worn, but you've changed regular spark plugs for platinum plugs.

I'm thinking between platinum and iridium spark plugs?!?
There is only $10 difference, and I know that the iridium are better, but wouldn't be any difference besides longer change interval.