Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Spark & Fuel But No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:21 PM
HCF Member
Default Spark & Fuel But No Start

I have a 91 civic lx sedan with a 1.5L Manual transmission. I started the car to leave work, it ran for 30 seconds just fine and quit. I have confirmed I have spark on all cylinders, and am getting fuel visually at the throttle body (dual point fuel injection), by cracking the fuel line bolt. I changed the fuel filter and tried starting fluid directly through the choke plate and got nothing. The fuel pump can be heard when you turn the key. It cranks but won't run. Help.

The only thing I can think of is that the timing might be off. I visually checked the timing belt from above, but didn't get a good look at the teeth. I will have to look a little closer tomorrow. Can I verify the timing with a light at starter cranking speed?

Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Chubby Chaser

what color is the spark??? blue or orange?

manually turn the motor to tdc and check the timing marks

Old 03-27-2010, 09:49 PM
HCF Member

this sounds just like the problem i had. what you try to do is go get you a manual for the civic so you can look at it and follow along with me. get a 12mm socket with a extension and remove the battery, take that 12mm and undo the 3 bolts around the distributor and remove it. disconnect the 2 wire harnesses going into it and remove the distributor cap. flip the bastid upside down and remove the 2 philips head screws "use a socket those screws over time become so mucked up they will strip if you dont use a good screwdriver" i think its a 4.5 or 5mm socket. once those are loose take a good look at that part thats loose. thats your ignition control module. log down on a piece of paper the color of wires so you know where they go. disconnect em all and take it to autozone "they test it for free". if you had the same problem i had itll fail a threshold test". i had a 89 civic thatd start fine then that part would overheat then itd start misfiring then die on me.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:51 PM
HCF Member

oh and about your timing. i doubt its your timing. the car would act stupid as soon as you start it and not wait 30 seconds. guys share your thoughts but i think this dudes icm is fukked