Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Snap On Impact wrench

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Default RE: Snap On Impact wrench

ORIGINAL: Littlehag

woah... hold the phone, I've had 2 instructors tell me that the snap-on impacts are junk, and they only warranty them for like 30days or something. I'd rethink your decision on what you get... possibly some specialty tools or something along those lines. just my 2cents.
what school and how experienced are ur instructors?

Snap-On products are top notch, which is why their so expensive. i know from personal experience how popular Snap-On, Matco, and Cornwellproducts are working at a couple large car dealerships and using their products. most mechanics use Snap-On impact wrenchs, both air and electric. for how much they use them and how much stress they put them thru, they sure are worth the money. most companies dont warranty most of theirair or electric tools for more than a year tops since there are more things to go wrong with them. other hand tools like screwdrivers, sockets, etc...can be life-time warrantied since their cheap and really shouldnt fail often if using them properly.

Craftsman products work well for the average home mechanic due to cheap price and decent quality. but when talking to mechanics that work on cars for a living, they'll chuckle at most Craftsman products.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

woah... hold the phone, I've had 2 instructors tell me that the snap-on impacts are junk, and they only warranty them for like 30days or something. I'd rethink your decision on what you get... possibly some specialty tools or something along those lines. just my 2cents.

Craftsman products work well for the average home mechanic due to cheap price and decent quality. but when talking to mechanics that work on cars for a living, they'll chuckle at most Craftsman products.
Semilar to construction and carpentery tools, the pros just chuckle at them too, nothing like makita power tools!!! lol

Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

what school and how experienced are ur instructors?

Snap-On products are top notch, which is why their so expensive. i know from personal experience how popular Snap-On, Matco, and Cornwellproducts are working at a couple large car dealerships and using their products. most mechanics use Snap-On impact wrenchs, both air and electric. for how much they use them and how much stress they put them thru, they sure are worth the money. most companies dont warranty most of theirair or electric tools for more than a year tops since there are more things to go wrong with them. other hand tools like screwdrivers, sockets, etc...can be life-time warrantied since their cheap and really shouldnt fail often if using them properly.

The University of Northwestern Ohio
They specialize in automotive, diesel, and high performance motorsports, check them out www.unoh.edu
I'm at school right now, (Computer Assisted Management) just one of the business classes I have to take. Both Instructors have had over 20yrs experience in the field and a few teaching as well. One said that he broke off the 1/2" drive twice when he got pissed and threw it, the other just said he didn't like them.

I think snap-on is the best. Just telling you what my instructor said. Personally I would go with Ingersol Rand for an impact, they're about the same price and just as good quality, if not better.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:51 PM
HCF Member

Yes, I know prices, Snap-on gives students (me included) 50% off their tools and sometimes more on some sales. I'm planning on stocking up before I graduate.

anyone want some tools at 30% off? lol j/k

Old 11-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if ya get the impact wrench get the good one

youll realy apriciate it!!!
my dad has a good snapon impact gun and this thing is VERY NICE!!!!! ya know the TYPICAL PITA crank bolt..... took off the bolts on two motors without flinching!!!!!

but its still not the BEST.... but very nice.... only thing this thing has problems with is removing the lug nuts from my dads BIG@SS motor home. LMFAO thats when ya need the MONSTER 1-2inch impact gun.... LOL

and ive never had the shratnel socket before.... most ive had is them cracking/spliting...... main problem ive had with the impact gun is SWIVELS...... i fya need one get a impact gun swivel joint!!!!! WAY SAFER.LOL otherwise bust out aBUNCH of electrical tape around a good swivel..... it just spins so fast that it will EASILY flink that sucker around which typicaly tosses off the socket like a fast ball pitch in ANY DIRECTION... been thier done that GLAD it didnt hit me.LOL

Old 11-15-2007, 05:25 PM

Personally, i'd get hand tools. Most major companies use the same factories to manufacture their power and pnuematic tools. I know snap on and mac have eactly the same power drills. Snap on screwdrivers are awesome. Their handles are so comfy.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:52 PM
HCF Member

personally i work at a dealership and everyone there swears by ingersoll. from what ive seen a kid with a 1000 ft pound ingersol paid 219 bucks for it and it eats my snap-on alive andi have the best 1/2 inch drive snap on makes. i regret buying the 480 dollar snap on. but the choice is yours. ingersoll also has some nice impact socket sets for a good price.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

Ingersoll-Rand makes geat stuff. My dad was a mechanic for 45 years. He used I-R airtools as long as I can remember. Sockets and wrenches were Snap On. Believe it or not, his favorite ratchets are S-K (Sears sells them now). When he retired, I got his Snap On ratchets, he kept the S-K's. I use a cheap electric that I got from Harbor Freight for popping lug nuts. Its really bulky, but it was dirt cheap and works great.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 AM
HCF Member

Ingersoll-Rand makes good stuff - Check here: http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/c-72...-wrenches.aspx

Chicago Pneumatic is also good - http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/c-80...-wrenches.aspx

Impact Sockets - https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/sea...=impact+socket

Old 11-16-2007, 03:39 AM
HCF Member

Well....... seeing how I have no money, just the $200 promise of free tools by snap on. And have most everything I need except for an air impact gun (at this point in my life). I need to know if blue point is a better model gun, or if it doesn't matter or what between the various models. Thats great that Ingersoll is a good brand but unfortunately that does nothing for me... lol

I can't decide between the blue point one or this snap on one ((posted on previous page)). I mean they can't all be absoulute junk.....

Is there like a tools review site or something??

Boy this craps on my parade

Quick Reply: Snap On Impact wrench