Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Slightly dimming headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Default Slightly dimming headlights

My 98 LX has, from when it was new, a case of dimming headlights. At night you can notice that the headlights (both of them) slightly dim momentarily and then are back to normal. This seems to happen pretty regularly. Like every minute maybe or so (varies). It's my wife's car and she has seen it more than me. It doesn't dim drastically only slightly but if you're paying attention it is noticable. Could this be an alternator or voltage regulator problem and could this be causing other problems too. Have been getting code 41 (primary oxygen sensor-heater circuit malfunction). Can reset the ECU and the CEL goes off for a few days then back on. On a another post it was suggested that the alternator acting up could possibly be causing the sensor-heater circuitry to malfunction, deteriorate or something. Whatcha think? Thanks for any info. George

Old 08-07-2005, 01:52 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Slightly dimming headlights

Well in my case i had the same code but with both O2 sensors turns out that my alt is puttin out a lil too much juice... internally regulated so gotta replace with a new one. and hopefully dont have to replace the O2 sensors as well we'll see and ill post.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Default RE: Slightly dimming headlights

I would get your electrical system checked out. They'll do a test under load and see if it's undercharging, or could be your battery isn't holding a charge very well.