Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

slight whirring noise with clutch out, anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Default slight whirring noise with clutch out, anyone know?

hey, i have a 97 civic 5M, and one of my more mechanically inclined friends told me that he noticed a small whirring noise when my clutch is out, a noise that goes away when i push the clutch in. it's really slight, and i can barely hear the difference, but he said that it'll get louder with time, and might be the clutch bearing??

has anyone else had this problem? since he wasn't sure exactly what it was, i want to get it diagnosed in case it turns into an expensive repair, so i can start saving for it.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

its called a thow out bearing id believe and yea its common for the civics that are that old to do that.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
its called a thow out bearing id believe and yea its common for the civics that are that old to do that.
ah, actually i've been reading more about it, searching on the forum and others, and i found this:

"When you push the clutch in, the throw out (TO) bearing comes in contact with the pressure plate (PP) fingers and spins with the PP. When the clutch pedal is out, the disc is engaged so the input shaft is turning. If you have noise when the clutch pedal is out and it goes away when you push the clutch pedal in, your tranny input shaft bearing is shot. If you push the clutch pedal in and you get a bearing noise then it's your TO bearing."

which makes more sense, right, for the tranny input shaft bearing to be making the noise when the clutch in out than for the throw out bearing to be doing so.

anyone know how much a shop charges for changing the tranny input shaft bearing? i read that the parts are pretty cheap, not more than 50 prolly, but the labor is a bitch. just don't wanna get ripped off. i'll probably attempt it myself if i can find someone with all the tools.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Push the clutch lever toward the cylinder (pushing the cylinder piston in) some and then the throwout bearing won't be touching anything so it can't make noise. If the noise remains, it's the input shaft bearing(s) in the transmission. That is also very common. Make sure the transmission is full of the proper fluid.

To change transmission bearings you have to take the transmission out of the car and open it up. It's not a full rebuild so it only takes an hour or so inside the transmission. Unless the clutch has been replaced lately, most people would also put a new clutch set in while the transmission is out.

Last edited by mk378; 05-24-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM

wait, so are there two input shaft bearings, right- a small one and a large one? do they both have to be replaced? how do you tell?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

After taking transmission apart, spin each bearing by hand and listen for noise. Or just buy both before you start and replace them both.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM

so i gotta go to a dealer to get the parts, right? do all dealerships sell parts for the same price or do i have to be careful about where i go to get them? i'm in san diego, anyone know of a dealer here?

sorry, new to doing repairs. is this the part number i need? 91002-PHR-003

Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
HCF Member

any auto parts store should be able to get those they are pretty common parts