Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Slap Shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot
Default Slap Shift

my buddy has a dodge caliber, he has a slap shift on it, i never heard of it before but all he does is slap it and it shifts like a manual which means i can control the rpm's. i really want this seeing i never drove a manual before and im not really tryin to embarass myself or buy 20 clutches to learn. sooo, is there a way to install a slap shift into my 97 civic hatch? what would i all need, what would be the round and about price?? thanks!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 PM

I think it's called triptronic (thanks kev. lol) shifting. I've heard of someone installing one before.

But seriously... the first time I drove a stick was the day i got my del Sol. I drove it 15 miles home start and stop and I stalled twice. It's not hard and you're not going to burn up your clutch learning unless you're a complete retard.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

Yeah i rather have a straight manual, and thats gotta be easier than installing a "slap shift"

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 PM
HCF Member

lol you wont even go thru one clutch trying to learn. It takes a good month to really get it down. But you will be able to get from point a to b within the first couple of days. Honestly just stick with the stick. My buddy put a triptronic in his accord. It was tight but not worth it imo, would rather just have a stick.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

dito... get a real manual... after you get taking off in 1st your 3/4way learning to drive a stick... getting going is the hardest part of a stick and after you shift into 2nd gear the rest is a breeze and almost fail proof
and to take off on a incline simply use your Ebrake to keep the car from rolling backwards into someone else! you dont fully crank the Ebrake just enough to hold it from rolling back, then when you take off you can still pull forwards just fine and once you get crawling just take the ebrake off and keep going.

not to hard to learn....

Old 04-17-2009, 12:00 PM
August 2010 ROTM

Plus with the Tiptronic, you can't control when it's in gear or not. Just stick with a manual trans, it's not hard... I had it down in a day, and I was only twelve years old when I learned!

Old 04-17-2009, 03:38 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
dito... get a real manual... after you get taking off in 1st your 3/4way learning to drive a stick... getting going is the hardest part of a stick and after you shift into 2nd gear the rest is a breeze and almost fail proof
and to take off on a incline simply use your Ebrake to keep the car from rolling backwards into someone else! you dont fully crank the Ebrake just enough to hold it from rolling back, then when you take off you can still pull forwards just fine and once you get crawling just take the ebrake off and keep going.

not to hard to learn....
This is a REQUIREMENT in the UK, you will FAIL your driving test if you don't use the e-brake on an incline.

Personally I do not need to do this when starting from a stop on an incline, but some people do, esp newbs.

Last edited by TheJGB3; 04-17-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

^ seriously? thats weird.....i do it sometimes when i want to rev the engine up and take off from a stoplight or something

Old 04-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i dont do it all the time... just when theres that idiot behind me that gets right on my @ss. i swear sometimes i wanna roll back and hit em and blame them.... but then i would just have more work before i paint my car.LOL

Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

I've driven a few rental vehicles that have a tiptronic style shifter, and they suck IMO. Doesn't come remotely close to enabling you to control the engine speed like a manual does. Civics have one of the easiest manual transmissions I've ever driven. It's what makes a potentially slow car (like mine) a bit more fun to drive.

Manual = <insert favorite beer here, unless it's Zima, or less than 5%>
Tiptronic = MGD 64