Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

shifter knob install help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Default shifter **** install help.

Hey, So i picked up a shifter **** (APC i think) for my 2003 civic LX. So i take off my stock shifter and i notice this little black plastic peice on the bottom of it, that attatches the **** to the bootbag. So how the heck do i install the aftermarket **** if it doesn't have that plastic attatchment at the bottom to connect the shifter to the bag. Does anyone know how to do this?, or have done it on their civic. PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance

Old 05-12-2006, 10:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: shifter **** install help.

ok..when you put your **** on the boot hangs low and you can see the metal right? so what your going to do it put a couple layers of duck tape around the metal part so that when you bring the shift boot up over the ducktape it stays snugg in place right below the shift ****

Old 05-12-2006, 10:32 PM

So basically there is no real way to do it, i just have to jimmy up some duct tape.. that sounds a bit odd. Is that what you did for your civic? The new **** that i want to put on doesn't have that plastic peice that connects the boot bag to the stock shifter... so i gotta duck tape the thing in place

Old 05-12-2006, 11:25 PM
HCF Member

On the 6th gens, there is a little black rubber band that supports the black ring that broke on yours. all you do is wrap that rubber band on the inside of the boot and slip it on making sure the band is supported over the new ****. sounds complicated but good luck.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:41 PM

well, I can pull the old **** off no problem, except on the bottom of the stock **** there is these 2 peices of plastic that clamp onto the metal part of the shifter bag holding them both together. So for the aftermarket **** i bought there is no plastic. I can put the new **** on but the bag has no way to connect to the new **** because there are no plastic clamps on the bottom. I was wondering if those plastic things could come off the old shifter and attatch to my new one, or do i need a new bag aswell. Or can i connect it some other way.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

just take the hole.. and put it up on to the **** u bought.. my buddie and i did this for his eclipse.. just kinda have the shift boot hanging there... theres no real way unless you were to get a shift boot that goes with the **** u got..just monkey rig it!

Old 05-13-2006, 09:32 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: minorc

Is that what you did for your civic?
no..i dont have that problem because i havent switched the ****, i just have seen it done before by someone on there because there boot always hung low...its very clean, you can tell its there

Old 05-15-2006, 08:14 PM

well i didn't do anything yet, i plan or jimmying it up tomorrow but today i just installed a new DC sports short shifter adapter and it is Swwweeeet. So tmo i'll mess around. I'll keep ya's posted. Ps. I can't upload pictures because the files are too big but if ya'll wanna check it out look at myspace . http://spaces.msn.com/chrisminor/Pho...e.aspx?owner=1

click on " new car ".