Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Shift Fork loose, Crankshaft fluctuation

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:40 PM
HCF Member
Default Shift Fork loose, Crankshaft fluctuation

I just got my transmission back in, it makes horrible noise. I ahve found that the shift fork for the throwout bearing is very very loose and I suspect that it is the culprit of the noise, I must ahve installed it wrong.

The question is, can this loose bearing cause a Crankshaft fluctuation sensor to go off? It sits there and rattles like mad and of course it is on the crankshaft.

I have also replaced the intake manifold gasket, do I have two problems?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Shift Fork loose, Crankshaft fluctuation

Check that the sheet metal cover on the bottom covering the gap between engine and transmission isn't bent and dragging on the flywheel. That'll make some terrible noise that tends to get worse when you push the clutch in because the flywheel moves slightly. The clutch fork should normally move loosely until it starts to touch the bearing to the fingers on the clutch cover.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

so if I take the slave cylinder off the clutch fork should be pretty wiggly then?

I think i may have a vaccum leak in the intake mani gasket throwing the engine code. I hear a little whistle now and then when I rev the beast.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you could have poped the fork spring off....... when i put my tranny back in it KEPT poping that fork spring off. use a flash light and look thru the back side of the fork and see if that little spring clip is on both sides of the ball.. mine kept poping off and having both prongs on one side and others the spring kept poping thru the fork splits.... i had to buy a new spring which helped ALOT. be sure the V tip of the spring wasnt all the way thru that hole on the fork. otherwise the spring clip is spread apart to far and wont lock onto that ball which will give you play... tuff part is i dont think that fork can be removed without pulling the tranny so checking that spring might be a hassle...

also did you lube up the ball and bearings any like they recomend to keep down noises..

Old 10-25-2007, 01:21 PM
HCF Member

yeah its on the ball alright, but real reall loose on it. The noise is extremely intermitent. If I sit there while it idles it does it once in a while all by itself, a sort of clunk/scrape/knock jsut a for a bit then goes away.

The Crankshaft sensor however comes on the instant I run the car, no matter how many time I clear the codes. Thats got to be unrelated to the clutch spring right?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

so how is it loose? up and down play or side to side play?

and if you didnt use some hightemp grease on the fork/bearing or fork/ball then you could be geting clicks and knocks from thier.... my manual book sugested lubing it up to prevent noises..

and di you replace your bearings on the trany? or reuse old ones? i was always told to use new parts cause its such a hassle to pull the tranny off to replace these LITTLE PARTS! i thought about reusing my old good looking parts... BUT opted for a clutch kit since i needed the clutch alignment tool so bad.LOL think it was WELL WORTH the 80bucks to keep it trouble free

Old 10-25-2007, 01:37 PM
HCF Member

I had a pro rebuild the tranny, it had bad beraings and it definetly isnt making the noises it made before! I resused the old clutch tho, it had barely and miles on it and was honda genuine!

The fork can basically be wiggled all over the place, front to back side to side.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:40 PM
HCF Member

again tho, crankshaft sensor, separate or related?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:49 PM
HCF Member

GOTCHA! Looks like i let the wires for the crankshaft sensor touch a belt and get burned in half.

Now the clutch noise DAMMMIT

Old 10-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

hum odd... my fork is firm. might be worn ball or worn fork ball joint.

thats the only thing i can think of with the fork being loose....

Quick Reply: Shift Fork loose, Crankshaft fluctuation