Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Several Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Several Questions

The following are listed by importance and urgency.
My Car: 1998 DX Coupe, all stock.

1. I am experiencing a mild loss in power. There have been no significant changes to the engine or drivetrain recently. The following things have been changed according to the severe schedule in the owners' manual: oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs. The car sounds the same as before it got slower. I have checked the stickies above, and none seem to apply.

2. I need to change the oil in the transmission and do not want to pay to have it done. The OM explains how to drain it, but do I fill it from the same spot I drain it?

3. The side of my air conditioning compressor blew out. A mechanic told me that the whole system would need replaced and it would cost from 800-900. The going price for a compressor here is around 300. Labor is 60-75 per hour at a non-dealership shop. An air conditioning repairman told me that if the compressor was replaced and the system was blown out with an air compressor and recharged, it would work. What parts on the AC system really need replaced, and how many billable hours would it take a mechanic to fix?

4. What would you do for a Klondike bar?

Thanks

Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Default RE: Several Questions

2. after draining put the drain bolt back. there is another bolt you unscrew and its the fill bolt. you stick the end of some tubing -like a hose- in the hole, and a funnel on the other end, and fill until fluid reaches the bottom of the fill bolt hole.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

1. Is the CEL ON (see my signature)?

2. Automatic or manual transmission?

3. More than just the A/C compressor likely needs to be replaced. The mentioned price may not be ridiculous, as it is presently unclear what caused the system to blow and how much damage was done. Do more shopping around for good A/C mechanics.

4. Depends on how hot it is.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

More info: Manual Transmission, Check engine light is not on, OBD scanner is not showing anything. MPG before was usually 30-32ish. MPG now is 26-27ish.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: lintondoza
...Check engine light is not on, OBD scanner is not showing anything. MPG before was usually 30-32ish. MPG now is 26-27ish.
Is the engine running rich? Items to consider: fuel pressure regulator, primary O2 sensor, ignition timing, and the valve clearance. Edit: Also check whether the exhaust manifold is cracked.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Replacing the entire A/C system is not out of line in this case. On many models you can buy the whole kit from Majestic for little more than the compressor alone costs.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
2. after draining put the drain bolt back. there is another bolt you unscrew and its the fill bolt. you stick the end of some tubing -like a hose- in the hole, and a funnel on the other end, and fill until fluid reaches the bottom of the fill bolt hole.
The OM insists I use Honda Genuine manual transmission oil, is this a necessity?

Old 08-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by lintondoza
The OM insists I use Honda Genuine manual transmission oil, is this a necessity?
Yes, only use Honda MT fluid in your transmission.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:53 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Yes, only use Honda MT fluid in your transmission.
Expanding on that question, what fluids should I use Honda Genuine for and what is it a waste of cash for?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:59 PM

1. You got plugs, but did you get plug wires too? Don't know if it matters that much, though.

Quick Reply: Several Questions