Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Seatbelt warning light/alarm coming on with seatbelt in use

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Default Seatbelt warning light/alarm coming on with seatbelt in use

All:

I just had the first problem with my 2004 Civic LX (45K miles), and I need your help to figure it out.

Last Saturday after I started my Civic, I noticed that the seatbelt warning light in the instrument cluster would stay on even with the seatbelt being used (firmly buckled in place.) When I started driving, the warning alarm would beep every so often for about 10 minutes and the warning light would flash. After about 10 minutes, the alarm stopped but the light stayed on. The whole time I had my seatbelt securly fastened.

I tried relatching the seatbelt with both my Civic running and off, and that didn't work. I read another post about a wire being loose, so Ilooked atthe wires under the seatand they appear to be fine and securly attached. I didn't do too much surgery to look at the wires, just felt the wires as far as I could, and eyeballed them as much as I can. Its acting like my seatbelt isn't fastened even though it is.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this one? I don't really want to take it by the dealer (trying to save for higher gas and food prices), so i'd really like to fix this myself.

Thanks,

Warren

Old 05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Seatbelt warning light/alarm coming on with seatbelt in use

Check whether the seat belt switch connector is disconnected or loose. Otherwise it may be a faulty switch in the buckle.

Name:  picture_0838.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  52.3 KB

Old 05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Its probably the mechanism inside the buckle. I have the same problem on two different cars. I think awhile back that the manufacturer has to replace any malfuctioned seatbelts, you may want to call the dealer. If they say they don't, I would call American Honda for a replacement. Good Luck!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the information!

I'll check out the connectors this weekend. If they are ok, i'll probably just go VFR direct to Honda USA and see if they will replace it. Unfortunately, i've had bad experiences with the local Honda dealer's service department when they used to sell Infinity, and I won't go back there.

Thanks again!

Warren