Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Seafoam w/ no smoke??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Seafoam w/ no smoke??

Youre supposed to add drips of it into the vac line....not rev it up while doing it. It takes awhile to get 1/3 a pint in, but thats the correct way. After you get it all in there youre supposed to turn the motor off for 5-7 minutes and then start it up, thats when it should smoke. Oh and if you added it to the crankcase, id advise you to change your oil pretty soon. Im pretty sure youre supposed to change the oil right after you do that.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM

LoL, this seafoam stuff sounds like a fuel injection cleaner. :P

Old 02-26-2007, 05:46 PM

if u've done it before, then that means it did it job well the first time and cleaned everything out. the first time i did it, i didnt get nearly as much smoke as most ppl do, and i had about 173k miles on my car...its fine, less smoke the better. and yes, if anyone adds it to their oil, change the oil very soon after(maybe just a couple days at most), it thickens the oil and can cause some major damage if not changed soon enough. first time i seafoamed i put it in the crankcase, ran a couple days and changed the oil and it was def. noticably thicker. im gena seafoam my car again this wednesday, this time i prolly wont be putting very much in the crankcase.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

sounds like you could eat off your cylinderwalls

Old 02-27-2007, 01:53 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

Youre supposed to add drips of it into the vac line....not rev it up while doing it. It takes awhile to get 1/3 a pint in, but thats the correct way. After you get it all in there youre supposed to turn the motor off for 5-7 minutes and then start it up, thats when it should smoke. Oh and if you added it to the crankcase, id advise you to change your oil pretty soon. Im pretty sure youre supposed to change the oil right after you do that.
I didn't stick the hose all the way in it. Ijust skimmed the surface of the liquid, and it still bogged and stalled. He just gave it a little gas notanything over 2000 rpm's. I did turn it off and wait 5 minutes (prolly ten). And no I'm waiting to do the crankcase when my oil will need changing, thanks for the extra heads up.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 AM
HCF Member

I thought I got all the smoke out after restarting it and reving the engine. But on my trip to my girlfriends house later in the day it was really smoking going up this hill in 2nd. I do feel a decent difference especially in first coming off the clutch.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:19 AM
HCF Member

Sorry if I seemed testy pete, I'm just really carefulwhen it comes tomy car and everything I do to it. So when someone says I'm doing something all wrong after searching every little tid-bit of info on how to use sea foam on your car for two weeks and read that. It kind of twists my buttons.

The way I treated my car was by a thread on here with pics of doing it the way I did. If thats wrong someone should probably delet that.