Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

scraping noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM
HCF Member
Default scraping noise

95 civic lx manual
Just recently, I've noticed a scraping sound coming from (only listening inside the car) front right wheel area.
I replaced both front axels a couple years ago if I remember correctly, no problems since then.
It's almost like if your muffler were dragging on the ground maybe, but not very loud.
Here's the mystery...
it only makes the noise while accelerating or coasting, and when I apply the brakes, it stops. Eventually it stops after a few minutes and it doesn't always happen. I think it also may have come back a few times during a regular drive.
Only consistency is it happens unless I'm braking.

Think there's something scratching against the pad and when I apply pressure, it just squishes and shuts the noise up?

Old 03-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check whether the front brake pads are worn. You may be hearing the brake wear indicator.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 PM

or the dust shield behind the rotor is ever so slightly bent and is rubbing the backside of the rotor...

Old 03-14-2010, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

Ok, I'll check both of those tomorrow when it's nicer out and report back

Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 AM
HCF Member

ok, well I finally got around to looking at them yesterday, well just the side that I thought was scraping.
The pad was pretty worn down. I set out to get a new pair, but then I realized I might need new rotors as well.
My manual didn't really give me much help with seeing how to check to see if they need replacing or not and google keeps giving me the pads.

I also saw a tube/hose about 1/4" in diameter just kinda chillin by where the brake line (I think) comes through. It wasn't connected to anything, but was leaking fluid. The fluid was clear and odorless and none of my reservoirs were low. It was pouring out, but it was dripping enough to cause a concern.
This just water from something? I only ran my car to get it into the garage, so I figured AC was out (plus AC wasn't on).
I can try to get a picture of it when I redo my pads.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Unless a pad wore down to metal on metal contact, or there was already problem with a warped rotor (car shakes or "pulsates" when brakes are applied), you usually don't need new rotors.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:07 AM
HCF Member

Ok, then I take it they're fine. There was about 1/16" left on the pad (eyeballed), the minimum required.
The rotor just looks shiny where the pad runs, I'm just not sure what the metal on the rotor would look like.