Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Safe to raise rev limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
on a d15b7 no its not safe to run any higher the engine will fail, i bet already it burns oil.
the engine wasnt designed for real high rpms, now if you get a vtec engine they are designed for higher rpms.

Well ill assume you havent read this thread through so ill restate it. As far as "i bet already it burns oil" well 1st wrong i havent bought the car or engine for it yet im gathering info before i switch racing classes, and no i wont buy a crap engine that burns oil ill buy a decent one and a backup that i will rebuild.

"no its not safe to run any higher the engine will fail" "the engine wasnt designed for real high rpms" Can you back this up at all? i'm only planning on going over by 200 rpm, so your telling me honda set the limiter EXACTLY at the limit of the engine? i HIGHLY doubt that seeing as almost all professional Autocrossers raise the rev limiter on there stock honda engines with no built internals whatsoever.

"now if you get a vtec engine they are designed for higher rpms" Again as i have said i can not use a differant engine in the class im building for, so no this is not an option.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Chubby Chaser

yes i can back it up ive worked on honda engine's rebuilding them at a machine shop.
i was assuming you already had the civic, running the d15 at that high of rpms will destroy the motor and will start smoking and burning oil then eventually fail.
if you dont have the civic then dont waste your time getting the slowest motor, get a si or an ex that comes with the vtec engine,
i know what im talking about ive beat on d" series engines for over 10 yrs.
the point is not the just 200 more rpms its the high rpms period. the engine was designed for the daily driving not for racing,

Old 10-17-2009, 07:39 AM

yes i can back it up ive worked on honda engine's rebuilding them at a machine shop.
i was assuming you already had the civic, running the d15 at that high of rpms will destroy the motor and will start smoking and burning oil then eventually fail.
if you dont have the civic then dont waste your time getting the slowest motor, get a si or an ex that comes with the vtec engine,
i know what im talking about ive beat on d" series engines for over 10 yrs.
the point is not the just 200 more rpms its the high rpms period. the engine was designed for the daily driving not for racing,

Aopparently you still dont understand, so i will restate it yet Again.
I CAN NOT have any other engine other than the D15B7 in the class im building for. And clearly you can not back it up seeing as these engines get raced by tons of people all the time. Yes its not good for any engine to be held at the rev limiter but thats not the point.

And dont waste my time getting the slowest motor? seems to me the D15Z1 would be the slowest with 12 less hp.

FWIW the "the engine was designed for the daily driving not for racing" your just not getting it. all civics and integras and s2000's for that matter were "made for daily driving" and yet they get raced in autox and track days etx with stock internals. I just wanted to know if going to 7000 rpm would get me valve float or whatnot. I do understand running an engine hard is not good for it.

Im assming you have no racing experience whatsoever so its ok that you dont understand classing of cars, no street "racing" and the drag strip does not count. There is a set list of what can be done to cars in what class and what car/ engine can be used as well. so one more time I CAN NOT use a differant engine if i could i would drop a GSR engine i have sitting here in.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:12 AM
HCF Member

ok I understand what you are doing. Here is my OPINION. if you can't build the engine (obviously due to the class) I will speak from experience. I know my 95 civic dx that was bought new that was an automatic and was driven by my wife since new (she bought it before we were together). was not race, was maintained by regular oil changes and for the most part well taken care of, WAS ready for a rebuild at 110k. It was burning 1 quart of oil about every month or so. So per my OPINION not being a smart @ss I think unless you are working with a fresh factory rebuilt engine going over 6800 rpms with any kind of average mileage for an eg chassis (92-95) your looking at mostly 100k plus miles to 200k plus miles. I think it would be very unreliable to go any higher on revs.

This again is just my $0.02 from my 1 dx. I have had 5 other hondas and 6 different honda engines and 4 different engine platforms.

STevo

Old 10-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by hybred-1
ok I understand what you are doing. Here is my OPINION. if you can't build the engine (obviously due to the class) I will speak from experience. I know my 95 civic dx that was bought new that was an automatic and was driven by my wife since new (she bought it before we were together). was not race, was maintained by regular oil changes and for the most part well taken care of, WAS ready for a rebuild at 110k. It was burning 1 quart of oil about every month or so. So per my OPINION not being a smart @ss I think unless you are working with a fresh factory rebuilt engine going over 6800 rpms with any kind of average mileage for an eg chassis (92-95) your looking at mostly 100k plus miles to 200k plus miles. I think it would be very unreliable to go any higher on revs.

This again is just my $0.02 from my 1 dx. I have had 5 other hondas and 6 different honda engines and 4 different engine platforms.

STevo
While i respect your opinion i will have to disagree a bit. I would but $ that your wifes car is just a fluke. My base on this- one of the cars i currently have is a 93 DX 4 door what has nearly 200k on it and dosnt burn a drop of oil. I got it off my friend and he got it from his dad who bought it brand new. The dad was never easy on the car and my friend beat the living crap out of it to the extent that average rpm was prolly over 4k and as for me im not easy on it. This car has never even been maintained well average time for oil change has been ~ 7500mi and just plain out dosnt get much other maintence, now with that said this engine dosnt even burn a drop of oil having nearly 200k hard miles on it.

I will say that i will be rebuilding an engine for this so i will be running a fresh engine, i just cant put anything in it ecept oem parts. oh and as far as how many miles will be put on the car a year- It will be a dedicated race car it will see less than 500mi per year.

I just want to make sure by bumping the limiter up a bit im not gonna get valve float etc... I do know it will be "hard" on the engine but thats ok.

Ether way ive pretty much got my answer, seeing as oem redline is 6800 and im only taking to to ~7000 i feel fully confident that it will be fine dealing with that.
In my type of racing people who race hondas raise the limiter all the time with little problems.

Thanks to all replies on here guys i have all the info i feel i need. Unless anyone wants to reply With Experience that Has raised there rev limiter on there D15B7 this thread can end on this.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Chubby Chaser

listen dude i think you just wanna argue with people, i believe you already have your mind up. just like that stupid kid who traded his civic for a thunderbird, go do it blow it up. i did not say swap out the engine or do any engine work, i said buy a civic ex or si that come factory with that engine.
and no i had a d15z1 in my sedan and it ran way better than a d15b7.
it isnt the hp. you need to look at torque. anybody can go 100mph its how fast you can get to 100mph. the only bad about a d15z1 is the trans it has really long gears, if you put a d16z6 trans on it and the intake manifold it will out run a d15b7.

dont waste our time asking for opinions if you dont want to listen and just want to argue. i have alot of experience with honda motors and alot of them here can vouch for my knowledge. my point is the d15b7 will not hold up.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:23 PM

I'm confused as to why you are asking for opinions when you don't want to listen to them. It's a D15B7, and it's probably not a very good idea to rev that engine over what it was made for. You're probably going to drop a valve and put a hole in the top of your piston if you do it too much.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:43 PM

listen dude i think you just wanna argue with people, i believe you already have your mind up. just like that stupid kid who traded his civic for a thunderbird, go do it blow it up. i did not say swap out the engine or do any engine work, i said buy a civic ex or si that come factory with that engine.
and no i had a d15z1 in my sedan and it ran way better than a d15b7.
it isnt the hp. you need to look at torque. anybody can go 100mph its how fast you can get to 100mph. the only bad about a d15z1 is the trans it has really long gears, if you put a d16z6 trans on it and the intake manifold it will out run a d15b7.

dont waste our time asking for opinions if you dont want to listen and just want to argue. i have alot of experience with honda motors and alot of them here can vouch for my knowledge. my point is the d15b7 will not hold up.
I dont wanna just argue with people but you keep trying to tell me to get a EX/SI when i have clearly stated many times now that THE SI/EX IS NOT ALLOWED IN THE CLASS IM BUILDING FOR. Please read that one more time and maybe understand that it truly IS NOT allowed!

Thanks for compairing me to some kid that bought a t-bird, thats not completly unrelated or anything...

Yes my mind is now made up that it should be fairly safe to raise the limiter a bit. This is based on my racing experience and the responses i have recieved. It however was not made up when i made the thread.

FWIW autocross is 1st and 2nd gear and the VX/LX/and DX all have the same 1st and 2nd gear they do have a diff final drive although and the torq #'s are the same for each engine as well, i could care less about 100mph as this is a dedicated autox car and will see very few track days.And as far as the d16z6 trans one more time SI/EX PARTS ENGINE TRANS SHELL ETC.. ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE CLASS!

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I'm confused as to why you are asking for opinions when you don't want to listen to them. It's a D15B7, and it's probably not a very good idea to rev that engine over what it was made for. You're probably going to drop a valve and put a hole in the top of your piston if you do it too much.
I listen to opinions on the question i asked, the responses to other stuff is what i dont wanna hear. Ive been told 3 times now by the same guy that i need a SI/EX when i have clearly stated ITS NOT ALLOWED IN THE CLASS!

And once more this thread can end here you are doing no good just reposting your opinion about me not wanting your opinion anymore.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:56 PM
HCF Member

Old 10-17-2009, 04:28 PM
HCF Member

headshot?

Quick Reply: Safe to raise rev limiter?