Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Safe to raise rev limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Default Safe to raise rev limiter?

Ok i was wondering on the D15B7 engine is it fairly safe to raise the rev limiter, and if so how far? This is for AutoCross and to get the correct effective gearing i will preferably raise the rev limiter to around 7000rpm.

I CAN NOT do any engine building to acchieve raising the rev limiter, it is not allowed in my class. I will have simple bolt ons on it though- intake, inatake manifold, full exhaust, pully's etc.

FWIW the car will only see 7k rpm for ~ 5 sec intervals on average and will only hit that maybe 10 times or less per day i run it.

So what do u think? Safe? Safe for a while? Not safe at all?

Old 10-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SoloGSR
So what do u think? Safe? Safe for a while? Not safe at all?
What do I think? Personally, I think you would be wasting your time after 6500rpms. The motor loses all efficiency after that point.

Probably safe to rev that high until something breaks since it isn't meant to go that high. lol

Old 10-16-2009, 03:42 PM

Ok i guess i have to explaine a little it seems... This is strictly for Autocross and no it wouldnt be a waste of my time... If you didnt know the majority of autocross courses is you stay in 2nd gear. Now say theres a straight away where i would be banging off the rev limiter for a few sec, its not worth my time to up shift and back down again, but if i had a little higher limiter i would be fine. If you dont understand this that is fine i could care less.

I just want to know weather or not the engine can handle it or not, you can keep your opinion about weather or not its worth it to yourself.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

With that kind of tone your going to get no help and just be flamed.

There is a reason why the rev-limiter is on there. The head is not made to be going that fast that's why they have it set to 6200rpms, after that it IS a waste of time unless you build the head to take it.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:28 PM

Wait.... you ask "So what do u think?". This is asking what my opinion is.

Then... you ask "Safe? Safe for a while? Not safe at all?".

I believe I answered all of your questions to the best of my ability. No need for bashing someone who answers your questions and states his opinion, especially since you ask for it.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:28 PM
HCF Member

cvc said its alright until something breaks because its not meant to GO THAT HIGH. and after that you still reply and ask whether the engine can take the abuse.

and his opinion on this subject is good, it will most likely save you money because you wont bust something in your engine

Old 10-16-2009, 04:54 PM

I asked opinions weather or not it was safe not weather or not it was worth it or not.

And as far as "Probably safe to rev that high until something breaks" Thats just not saying anything... Seeing as im asking if its safe to rev that high or if i was tempting fate. A lot of engines can safely rev past there rev limiter and i was wondering what the actual limit of the engine is.

I am very willing to run the engine at a range thats "risking" problems seeing as these engines are so cheap and everywhere, i just want to know what to expect and how far i can push it. I would accept blowing a couple engines a year but i dont want to be dropping in one every other event.

And 1 last time for it to sink in reving past the rev limiter is NOT just a waste in my type of racing where class is determined but hundreths of a second yes it is well worth it rather than shifting.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Angry Admin

WHETHER WHETHER WHETHER.

they can handle it... to a point.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

i dont think you will explode in a million pieces along with your car for revving it high, so do it if you dont mind swapping engines after some time.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by jprommel
WHETHER WHETHER WHETHER.

they can handle it... to a point.
My mistake, my grammer is not that great.
Thanks for the answer, im trying to find out What that point is.

Edit:
Originally Posted by Boki99ex
i dont think you will explode in a million pieces along with your car for revving it high, so do it if you dont mind swapping engines after some time.
Im just trying to find out what that point is, No i wouldnt mind dropping in an engine but i dont want it to be a common thing where im constantly damaging the engine.

Last edited by SoloGSR; 10-16-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Safe to raise rev limiter?