Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rusted Bolt Tried to loosen it and it BROKE!! Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:38 PM
HCF Member
Exclamation Rusted Bolt Tried to loosen it and it BROKE!! Need Help!!

Okay so today i tried taking off my rear suspension to replace the springs. I used Liquid Wrench and i left it there soaking for like an hr [i kept sprayin it every like 10 mins]. so then i tried loosening it and it was going and as i was turning, it got hard to turn, so i used all my force and the bolt snapped now idk wat the do..... -_- the only way is to drill it out, can someone show me a proper way to drill it out. my dad did the same thing to the other side also. so now i dont even want to drive the car anywhere. Heres the picture of both sides of my rear suspension.

Name:  0904101615a.jpg
Views: 2597
Size:  29.5 KB
This is the one my dad broke. Its on the lower control arm to the (...) iono wat they call that

Name:  0904101615.jpg
Views: 3154
Size:  49.6 KB
This is the one that i broke. its on the lower control arm connected wit the suspension.

Please help me with this. Im driving back up north next week and i dont want to bring it to a shop thats gonna charge 90$ and says it might take a few hrs to do this. (ON ONE SIDE)

Right now i only have the front springs on. So i dont to be driving it lookin stupid.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

common problem. it wasnt rust it was seized to the LCAs bushing. needless to say ya got some work ahead of you

the LCAs have 3 bushings all similar chances are they could all do that and be alot of work.
easiest thing you can do is buy some new LCAs and cut yours off... the main thing is the inner bushings on the car coming out because those are threaded into the body.
ive done the cut off way afew times. and ive heard of some people torching the bushings out but still some work ya got either way.
just be sure when reinstalling the new parts to use plenty of ANTISEIZE all over the bolts, the threads and the shaft as well because typically they seize on the shaft to the bushing itself.

heres picsof how i did my old EG civics toe adjusters, they are the same style basically. and MIGHT also be seized.... so once you go in for a alignment the shop will probably let you know they seized and they cannt adjust the toe on the rear. been there done that TWICE, on my old EG both toe adjsuters where seized, and on my 99EK civic i had one seized. still a PITA!
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...E%20ADJUSTERS/

this is how your LCA bushing bolts are seized...
Name:  94civiclowering-12-1.jpg
Views: 1786
Size:  182.5 KB
hell i even tried the air chisel to get the center bolt free from the seized bushing but they would not budge even after lots of hammering so i had to replace the bushings.
if your lucky the inner bushing bolts will come right out and you can simply cut the outter bushing bolt off from the welded on nut and cut the bolt out from the bushing, and then either buy new LCAs or buy new LCA bushings and replace he bad ones by pressing them out and pressing the new bushings in. if you dont have a press trust me you wont be able to do it so take it to a shop that can press the bushings out and new ones in and pay them.

Last edited by addiction2bass; 09-04-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:03 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
common problem. it wasnt rust it was seized to the LCAs bushing. needless to say ya got some work ahead of you

the LCAs have 3 bushings all similar chances are they could all do that and be alot of work.
easiest thing you can do is buy some new LCAs and cut yours off... the main thing is the inner bushings on the car coming out because those are threaded into the body.
ive done the cut off way afew times. and ive heard of some people torching the bushings out but still some work ya got either way.
just be sure when reinstalling the new parts to use plenty of ANTISEIZE all over the bolts, the threads and the shaft as well because typically they seize on the shaft to the bushing itself.

heres picsof how i did my old EG civics toe adjusters, they are the same style basically. and MIGHT also be seized.... so once you go in for a alignment the shop will probably let you know they seized and they cannt adjust the toe on the rear. been there done that TWICE, on my old EG both toe adjsuters where seized, and on my 99EK civic i had one seized. still a PITA!
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...E%20ADJUSTERS/

this is how your LCA bushing bolts are seized...

if your lucky the inner bushing bolts will come right out and you can simply cut the outter bushing bolt off from the welded on nut and cut the bolt out from the bushing, and then either buy new LCAs or buy new LCA bushings and replace he bad ones by pressing them out and pressing the new bushings in. if you dont have a press trust me you wont be able to do it so take it to a shop that can press the bushings out and new ones in and pay them.
Thanks for the help. i guess now i gotta excuse for my pops to let me buy new LCA's cuz he dont want me spending my money on useless things. but now i need it. Im planning on getting the Skunk 2 LCA's.

Is this guy legit on ebay? Cuz thats a pretty low price for the black LCA's or should i go for Gold?.

Skunk2 LCA's StreetRays

Old 09-04-2010, 04:13 PM
HCF Member

And i already got the alignment done like 3 weeks ago and they didnt say anything about the toe adj. being seized. So thats good.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

from there ebay rating people are saying SLOW SHIPPING.... so if you hope to get the car back on the road fast i wouldnt buy from him.
try to find a seller that has them INSTOCK and ready to be shipped. and check there ebay feedback! the feedback says ALOT of how they sell!
sometimes best to spend a bit more for instock product and get them faster!
but in all honesty i would just reuse stock LCAs with new bushings. just cheaper that way and you can get the bushings pressed out and new ones pressed in same day if the bushings are instock of course.

why spend twice as much if you dont have to for something you wont feel a difference with and is hidden under the car?

Old 09-04-2010, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

Something like this? Rear LCA Bushing Kit

and wat if i had to actually cut the LCA like ur tow bar? should i wait and see the end results of how i get the bolt off first? then order them after?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
HCF Member

Get a lca bushing kit from Energy Suspension if you plan on reusing the stock lca also you'll need the shock bushings to go with the lca bushing either way you may end up spending the same as if you bought aftermarket lca. I did the bushings on my 91 crx and they were a major PITA to get out took me hours just on one side and that was using a press at the shop that I worked at

Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM

don't order from streetrays. They are nice, helpful people, but the problem with them is that they keep poor track of their inventory, or at least their ebay store does not reflect their actual inventory... so often when you order something, you'll get an e-mail a few days later saying it's not in stock and you can either wait or get a refund. If you're buying anything from them, call them first and ask if it's in stock. They are really nice though, easy to work with when there is a problem... it's just that being charged by paypal and then finding out it's out of stock and having to wait for your refund to clear before you have the money to order from someone else is a complete pain the ***.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

yea i read his reviews. I already ordered new Skunk2 LCA its going to be coming in monday. If u guys are intrested in my project check it out. Hourt's Project EK. I will be posting up some pics monday when i install them on my project forum.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

you also ordered new bolts from honda? dont forget them.... and dont forget to lather them up with antiseize lube as well so it wont happen again!

Quick Reply: Rusted Bolt Tried to loosen it and it BROKE!! Need Help!!