Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing Both Rear Trailing Arm Bushings...Other Methods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:33 PM
HCF Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPTDzrxqoOo

Above is the link to youtube. I hope it works. Personally, I have not done this kind of job so I can not say he has it rigged up or not. But, it looks legit.

Bleeding brake line is not hard at all. I do it myself all the time.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:08 PM

LOL do NOT follow that DIY...That guy doesn't know wtf he's doing.

For one, with the correct tool, it is much easier and faster to get the job done with the arm still on the car. You don't have to tear anything apart, just take a few bolts off and do work with the tool.

I find it hard to believe that an old bushing would come out that easily with just a hammer.

One thing he forgot to mention is measuring and marking how far in the new bushing goes. Yes he mentioned centering the bushing but you also have to measure how deep it goes in so it lines up perfectly with the bolt holes so when you bolt the arm back together, it doesn't bind. And again with the hammer, when you install the new bushing it may not sit perfectly even all around thus causing a bind in the bushing. If the new bushing doesn't sit right, it'll prematurely wear or even rip apart.

I for one would sure as hell avoid taking the arm off to do this job. At that point it'd be worth it to buy the tool, do the job, and sell or rent the tool out when done...

Just IMO

Old 12-26-2010, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

Does anyone have a Push Tool for rent for the trailing arm bushings? If so, that would be greatness on your behave.
Once again...Autozone & Advance Auto Parts DO NOT have the tool for these parts..and that sucks..I thought they would have every kind of tool for every part of a car. I guess not...

P.S: I looked at the video even before I brought my bushings..looked pretty simple in the video....That's why I wanted to do it myself(and save money). I don't think it matters how hard I hit the bushings with a hammer..I hit the top..the top is in..I hit the bottom the top pops out & vise versa.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 AM
HCF Member

If the bushing is moving like that, I think there is a hope. I would spray some penetrant and hold other side of bushing with bigger hammer while I hit one side of the bushing. If it doesn't work, I guess you'll Need the tool for the job, either you buy or make one.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:35 PM
HCF Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by maachan513
If the bushing is moving like that, I think there is a hope. I would spray some penetrant and hold other side of bushing with bigger hammer while I hit one side of the bushing. If it doesn't work, I guess you'll Need the tool for the job, either you buy or make one.
Make a tool for the bushings hmmm!
Well those kind of DIYs caught my eye while I was looking for a way to install the bushings as well...But they mostly involve a blow torch & welding..I don't wanna buy tools just to make a tool. I wonder if there's a way to make this DIY Bushing tool without welding.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 AM
HCF Member

If you prevent bushing from rocking as you hit with hammer, the bushing would come out. You may want to think of ways to accomplish that while you are thinking about a tool to do the job.

I was reading something about filling broken engine mounts with urethane mix. I wonder if you can use the stuff so the bushing don't have to come off,,,,.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ed Fisher
Civicexracer:

Could you possibly post some pictures and dimensions of the tool that you own and have beta tested for the rest of us? I am facing this job soon on a 1989 CRX and personally would appreciate seeing it and having some reference as to how I could fabricate one for an affordable price.

Ed
Dallas, Tx
Ed, did you ever get the information to make this tool? I would also like to make one. Could you send me the dimensions please? Thanks!

Rach, UT

Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 AM
HCF Member
Default trailing arm bushings

I did not get dimensions for a tool. I finally had them replaced though, as a friend of mine does mechanical work at a local dealership. My rear struts were also leaking so it made quite a difference in ride quality. Sorry I can't help with the tool.

Ed

Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Default Ed

Thanks for replying, I think we will be able to figure it out.