Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing Both Rear Trailing Arm Bushings...Other Methods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:31 PM
HCF Member
Default Replacing Both Rear Trailing Arm Bushings...Other Methods?

Got a 92 Civic LX with 188,000 miles automatic, Both my Training Arm Bushings are busted, not enough to be noticeable during driving but I wanna replace these suckers before I have problems.
I have looked up DIYs via google on how to replace them & basically it's saying you need some kind of push tool that cost around $200, but it can be rented from Autozone or any other auto store with a loan program. I don't have $200 laying around for the tool to be loaned out to me.
So my question is......Is there another cheaper method for installing these bushings? I have heard you can stick them in the freezer & they'll shrink so it'll be easier to install, I also heard you can tap them in with a hammer...is it possible it can be done like that or any other way?

Old 12-12-2010, 07:55 AM
HCF Member

It was on Youtube, a guy was using brass hammer to tap out the bushing. I saw it last night.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 AM
HCF Member

Freezer will work, my friend did it that way. Once it harden, and using hammer to knock it in, the frozen bushing has no reflect (hammer don't bounce back).

Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM
HCF Member

you can also rig up a tool from pluming parts at a hardware store for installing the new ones.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 PM

Um, you do know that when you rent a tool from most local parts stores they give you the money back when you return it? So, it's basically free to use. I would HIGHLY suggest renting the tool to do this job. I own the tool and it makes the whole process very easy. I've done the job on my car and a friends integra and both times I've never had ANY issues. I let another buddy of mine borrow it for his integra and he had no issues too.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicexracer
Um, you do know that when you rent a tool from most local parts stores they give you the money back when you return it? So, it's basically free to use. I would HIGHLY suggest renting the tool to do this job. I own the tool and it makes the whole process very easy. I've done the job on my car and a friends integra and both times I've never had ANY issues. I let another buddy of mine borrow it for his integra and he had no issues too.
That's what I'm saying...key words I posted was "rent" & "loan" .
I can afford the bushings yeah..but I can't even afford to rent the tool, I know they give me my money back after returning but can you give me $200 so I can rent the tool..then I can give the money back to you...YES?

Sounds like an idea to me...:P

Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 AM
HCF Member
Default tool pictures

Civicexracer:

Could you possibly post some pictures and dimensions of the tool that you own and have beta tested for the rest of us? I am facing this job soon on a 1989 CRX and personally would appreciate seeing it and having some reference as to how I could fabricate one for an affordable price.

Ed
Dallas, Tx

Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
That's what I'm saying...key words I posted was "rent" & "loan" .
I can afford the bushings yeah..but I can't even afford to rent the tool, I know they give me my money back after returning but can you give me $200 so I can rent the tool..then I can give the money back to you...YES?

Sounds like an idea to me...:P
Yeah sure here's 200 forum bucks! $$$. If you have a credit card, they can probably charge it on there and then remove the charge as a refund when you return it. If you're too young and/or don't have a card, borrow money from family? Just some ideas. If you lived nearby I wouldn't have a problem letting you borrow mine for free.

Originally Posted by Ed Fisher
Civicexracer:

Could you possibly post some pictures and dimensions of the tool that you own and have beta tested for the rest of us? I am facing this job soon on a 1989 CRX and personally would appreciate seeing it and having some reference as to how I could fabricate one for an affordable price.

Ed
Dallas, Tx
If you're very serious about producing one, I'd be more than happy to help out. If serious PM me, otherwise if you don't, I'll forget to do this and really am not going to take time out of my busy schedule to make useless measurements and whatnot. Just let me know.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:15 AM
HCF Member
Default Trailing arm bushing tool

PM sent

Old 12-25-2010, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

Ok I have a question because right now I'm trying to change both my Trailing Arm Bushings & its getting on my nerves.
You know how some people say "You can take the whole trailing arm off..it's easier that way!". Well my question is..How is it easier if you have to take the brake fluid line off as well which also means you have to bleed the brakes afterwards?

I asked this question because I'm having issues putting my bushings on. I have tried the following in order:

1. With both lower & upper control arm bolts, toe bolt & bushing bolts out..tried to hammer the bushings in(didn't work).

2. I discovered that the NEW bushings are 1mm larger then my OLD bushings, So I threw them in the freezer for 2 hours for them to "shrink". Tried to hammer them in again with a bigger hammer(3 lb forged steel instead of my wood handle hammer) & with bearing grease on the bushing....didn't work.

3. Tried the same method as Number 2 but put them in the freezer OVERNIGHT(about 10 hours). Measured the bushings all the way around & no difference in size.

I have googled & searched all kinds of forums & threads on how to install these bushings & many people say "Hammering" is the easiest method since they did it themselves...So why is it so hard for me?

Sorry to rant alittle but I don't quite understand how people who think the hammering method is easy say that they took the whole trailing arm off & not say a thing about the brake fluid line(not the emergency brake). Do these guys have Air Brakes or something?..LOL

BTW...I went to Autozone & Advance Auto Parts to rent out the "Push tool" or "Press Tool", Neither of them got it. Yes..they knew what I was talking about, they only got kits for small & medium bushings.

Last edited by Mecca8383; 12-25-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing Both Rear Trailing Arm Bushings...Other Methods?