Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing bearing on A/C compressor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Default Replacing bearing on A/C compressor.

98 1.6L DX
How hard is this to do?
I have unbolted the power steering pump and moved it out of the way.
I pulled off the A/C compressor belt tensioner. Popped the seal off that bearing and lubed it.
When I spin the compressor pulley by hand; it spins easy but is noisey. Sounds like when you clean all the grease out of a bearing and spin it.
Is there any way to lube this bearing?
I don't think so; so therefore I figure I have to replace the clutch / bearing / pulley assembly. The part is $337 Cdn. at the Honda dealer.
I figure I can unbolt the compressor, disconnect the wiring and lift it up where I can work on it without disconnecting the hoses.
Do I need a special type of puller to get the assembly off the end of the compressor?

Should I just leave things alone? So what if the bearing is a little noisey, just turn up the radio; or is it going to sieze up, break the belt, wreak the compressor; maybe a chunk of belt will damage the power stearing pump.
Or if I do work on it am I going to create a leak in the A/C hoses with all the movement?

You understand what's going through head. I need some opinions from people who have done this before.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Default RE: Replacing bearing on A/C compressor.

I would replace it before it gets worse, then you'll be spending the big cash.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: potsie

98 1.6L DX
How hard is this to do?

Is there any way to lube this bearing?

Do I need a special type of puller to get the assembly off the end of the compressor?

Should I just leave things alone?

I need some opinions from people who have done this before.
I have replaced the bearing on the compressor of my 1991 DX Hatchback. I would not recommend doing this if you are not familiar with AC service, etc. I had to take the compressor off to do the exchange....I think I pulled the bearing with a simple puller. Where it became complicated was finding a replacement for the bearing.....I found one in Japan but I had to order it and would take over a month to receive. I eventually began a search in Junkyards until I found another similar compressor, pulled the bearing and used it in my compressor. It worked for about a year before the car was totaled......I doubt I would tackle it today...would just choke up and replace the part.

Good Luck

Old 11-09-2005, 06:45 AM

Thanks for your input. I'm going to bite the bullet and have the pulley / clutch / bearing assembly replaced.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:27 AM

YUes replacing the bearing is not an easy job. But if you replace it not it is very good. B/c if the bearing stop turning the rotor locks up and the belt will break and tear anything in its path. all wires and even cut through fuel lines electricl wiring sensor wiring you name it anything in its way is history so yes do it now and quickly. and do it right Jeez