Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Removing wiper cowl

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:02 PM
HCF Member
Default Removing wiper cowl

Well my 3rd annoying electrically related issue has reared it's ugly head. My wipers aren't parking correctly. Will be testing the motor since that appears to be the most likely cause (faulty "reed switch"). First was the speedo, then the ignition key switch (the tiny switch that detects the presence of the key.

I'm wondering about the button type, plastic rivets that hold the cowl down (the ones that you can see without having to pop the hood). I pried them up and the centre section pops up, is that considered removal, or do I have to yank them completely free of the cowl? It's cold and I don't feel like yanking too hard and breaking things.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:07 PM

the clips will most likely break either way. they're pretty weak. you can get new ones on ebay in bulk.

i'd just buy new ones, and then when you get them, go to remove the hood cowl and just remove the clips and let them break.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

Thanks, I'll just likely get them at the stealership in that case, getting parts from the States ends up being more expensive for me once the package has to cross borders.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 AM
HCF Member
Default 2

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
you can get new ones on ebay in bulk.
Ended up Ebaying those clips (both types) as you mentioned. I researched the dealership prices on them and realized just how much those damn things would cost locally; Ludicrous. Even Majestic Honda charges ~2$ a pop!

Wiper motor will be here tomorrow; if my old wiper motor just needs it's connections cleaned, etc... I'll just have to pay a small restocking fee upon return of the new/remanufactured motor (dealership price was also ridiculous on this, so I just went to the nearest parts store).

Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 AM

haha, yea i found myself in the same predicament with my old civic. i used the ebay clips and they worked fine, and were 10x cheaper. lol