Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Remote start/keyless entry questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Default Remote start/keyless entry questions

I have a 2002 Civic LX with power locks. I'm not sure if it has keyless entry or not, but it didn't come with any remotes. I want to install a keyless entry and remote start system but want to make sure I get one with everything I'll need to make it work. Did Honda use chip keys or anything that will need to be bypassed? My key is black and says T5 on the metal part.

I would also like some suggestions for which system to get. Something that can be found on ebay would be fine. I'm not looking to spend tons of money, nor am I looking for tons of features. As long as it locks and unlocks the doors and starts the car. If it has the ability to turn on the rear defogger that would be a plus.

Any info is welcome. Thank you.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Remote start/keyless entry questions

for the remote start to work you will need to get a Bypass module. the one that works best for your car is the Directed Electronics XK05. its programmable and allows the remote start to operate without having to give up one of your keys like the universal modules.

there is also another module that you can buy that may make things easier. It is the Directed Electronics XK02. it is not necessary but it will make hooking up the door lock, door unlock, factory alarm arm/disarm, and door triggers easier.

the XK 05 can be purchased about 80 bucks retail, and i'm not sure about the price of the XK 02. you can see their website here: http://www.xpresskit.com/.

as far as a good brand, dont go cheap. cheaper alarms have cheap circuits, and crappy on board relays that will fail in a short amount of time. I would go with something made by Directed electronics such as a Viper, Clifford, or Python. all three brands are the exacts same alarm cuz they are all made by directed. the only difference is the keypads. but directed offers a lifetime warranty on the brain of the alarm, so if it does ever go bad they will replace it no problem.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info.

What is a door trigger?

Those modules that you were talking about... those are in addition to the basic system or are they everything I will need?

Years ago I installed a remote start/keyless entry system, but its been so long I'm having trouble figuring out all this new technology.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I WOULD NOT ADVICE DOING IT YOURSELF.... these factory alarm systems can be a HUGE PITA for beginer instalers! i know.... i had a hell of a time with my dads 00suburban!

take it to a instaler shop and most the time you get a better deal on the instal from buying from them, and some shops will not instal products not sold by them... just something to think about...

Old 05-31-2008, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

ya i agree with addiction if you are not confident in doing it yourself, I would not recommend it. I am an installer and I have done more alarms than I can count so its not hard for me. but if you dont have a clue, I highly recommend paying someone to do it Most places will warranty all their work, so if theymess somethin up they'll pay to get it fixed. Where as if you mess somethin up you are paying to get it fixed out of your own pocket. Also if the alarm ever messes up you can take it back to them and they'll figure out the problem rather than you troubleshooting it yourself.

to answer your question, the door trigger is thepart in the carthat sends a positive or negative (depending on the car, negative on most hondas) signal to the car to let the car know if the door is open or closed. Most cars use a pin switch somewhere in the door jam to send this signal. most cars show no signal then the door is closed, and either +12 volts or ground when it is open.

and as for the modules, theyare seperateitems thanthe alarm unit. The XK05 is a requiredbypass for the remote start to work. this is assuming you have an automatic. things are waaaayyy different if you have a manual. The XK02 is optional and if you end up taking it somewhere to get it done, you dont need this piece at all

Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 PM
HCF Member

Is your car an auto trans, or manual?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 AM

It's an auto. I am confident that I can install it as I have done it in the past. I just didnt know what bypass stuff is needed. So my key has a chip in it or is there something else that the car has that needs to be bypassed?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:26 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: JG24CV

It's an auto. I am confident that I can install it as I have done it in the past. I just didnt know what bypass stuff is needed. So my key has a chip in it or is there something else that the car has that needs to be bypassed?
ya the key has a chip in it that the vehicle has to detect before it will start. The module programs the code from the chip and feeds it to the vehicle during the remote start process so that the key does not physically have to be in the car. thats the only thing you have to bypass.

as for the wiring go check out the12volt.com and look up your car and it should give you the wire colors. or you can pay for a membership to directechs.com. thats what we use at work and its really reliable.