Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear Window Defogger not working.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 AM
HCF Member
Default Rear Window Defogger not working.

I noticed this morning that my rear window defogger is not working. The light on the on/off switch has never worked (I bought the car used) but the defogger always worked.

A few weeks ago I had new rear speakers installed by a stereo shop. Today is the first time I have used the rear window defogger since then and it didn't work. Rear window stayed fogged up all the way to work.

Could the stereo store have disconnected a wire or something near the rear speakers. Is there a wire back there somewhere I should look at?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 09-26-2007, 07:29 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Rear Window Defogger not working.

check the fuse in the engine bay fuse box. It should be like a pink fuse thats square when viewed from the top but fairly long.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There's also a relay in the engine bay fuse box. If you listen there while someone presses the defogger button (with the key on but engine not running) you should hear it click. If the fuse and relay seem OK, go back to the back glass and measure if voltage is reaching the terminals on the window. It is possible to cut all the printed wires at once attempting to clean the glass or scratching something across it.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 AM
HCF Member

oh and the little orange light will still come on even if the fuse is blown, which can be confusing [&:]

Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

There's also a relay in the engine bay fuse box. If you listen there while someone presses the defogger button (with the key on but engine not running) you should hear it click. If the fuse and relay seem OK, go back to the back glass and measure if voltage is reaching the terminals on the window. It is possible to cut all the printed wires at once attempting to clean the glass or scratching something across it.
Do the terminals have wires that unplug from the rear window? Where would I find them? I'm wondering if the stereo store disconnected them when installing the speakers.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

OK, I went out during lunch and looked around my rear window. On both sides of the window there is a clip for a wire to connect to for defogger but only the drivers side has a wire connected. The wire is coming of from the plastic cover over the rear pillar. Should both clips have a wire connected?

By the way, it is a 97 EX Sedan, AT.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes you need both wires connected. One is the power supply and one is ground. The wire clips should just push on, but don't use excessive force because they're glued to the glass.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:59 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for all the help!

I called the stereo store and they said to stop by and they'll hook it back up. I can't get there until the weekend so I'll probably give it a shot myself if I have time. Right now there is no wire showing at all so I think I'm going to have to remove the plastic pillar cover.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

Your windows are fogged at this period of the year?

Old 09-26-2007, 04:55 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: foress_89

Your windows are fogged at this period of the year?
Yeah, I live in WI and this morning the back window was fogged all the way to work.

I moved here from LA in 1999 and I don't care for the winters.