Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear endlinks making clunk sound going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
HCF Member
Default Rear endlinks making clunk sound going over bumps

Ok so I'm having this recurring problem of my rear end links making a clunk sound when going over bumps/rough road spots. They are Blox adjustable endlinks.

At first it was because I wasn't using the correct side spacer which kept the bottom end a tad loose on the bolt, even after tightening it as much as it could. Added spacer got rid of the noise and the ride felt/sounded perfect.

Now it's happening again, been going on for a couple weeks now. So I go under the car to see if I can move the links to replicate the sound and they feel secure, but I think the bearing inside the endlink housing is wearing out or creating a space so anytime there's no pressure it'll make a noise when it makes contact on a bump. Does that make sense?

So I'm thinking, I could lengthen the endlinks so there would always be a slight pressure on them so they wouldn't "clunk".

But a couple questions.

1. Would OEM rear Si endlinks work for skunk2 rear control arms(not sure if the bolt/thread size would match or are they all the same size)

2. Would blox or other brand none adjustable endlinks solve my problem?

If it makes any difference I drive in a dusty environment almost daily, I would assume that causes wear on the endlink bearings, but I didn't think it would destroy them that fast.