Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Radiator or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Default Radiator or something else?

Hello all,
This is my first post in the forum, so please forgive if I am breaking any forum rules (I guess im not).

Anyways, I have 2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7L, 136K miles, timing belt and water pump replaced at 106K miles. The other day I was coming back (driven about 45 mi on that day) when I felt my AC not cooling although air coming out. Then after a while, my car wont accelerate more than 30 mph, engine light came on and temp needle went to 'H'. I drove into a gas station, where my car eventually stopped and had to get it towed.

Now last weekend, I open radiator cap and emptied a lot of radiator fluid in it. Started the car, with engine light still on and AC to high and after a while all of my radiator fluid leaked. I was getting kinda cool air. I couldnt figure out what the hell is wrong, so I came back. Two days later after thinking that I need to replace radiator, I filled up my radiator with water and started again, just to double check the issue and find the leak, but NO leak at all this time. Engine light is off.

Not sure what to do....can anyone please advise as to whats going on and how should I proceed?

~seahorse

Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Forgot to mention, checked the engine oil if coolant has leaked in engine and the engine oil color is NOT milky at all. That looks fine and the level is fine too...

Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 AM
HCF Member

The oil not being milky is a good sign. First thing I would do is check the radiator cap and check the hoses for leaks. If your radiator cap is busted your coolant can bubble over the cap and drip out that way.

Its most likely going to be your thermostat though. Its a pretty basic replacement that you could do yourself. You can check if your thermostat is working properly by touching the bottom hose that goes into your radiator after the car has been running. It should be warm or a bit hot. If its not warm them your thermostat is stuck and needs to be replaced. If you go to a mechanic they will tell you you have to replace the radiator and the thermostat, but chances are its only the thermostat.

Also check to make sure both of your fans kick in when the car is running. Just start it and watch for a bit, they should go on and off.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Replace the thermostat as a matter of course when there's random overheating. They get sticky. While you have the hose disconnected to replace the thermostat, pour water into the top of the radiator and make sure it flows freely out the bottom.

Don't wait for the engine light to come on or for the engine to slow down because of overheating. By then, severe damage is likely to have occurred.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Okay. I will check it later today. Only one of my fans comes on when I turn on the AC. Is the other fan being off a normal thing or one fan is bad too?

Thank you all.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM
HCF Member

I'm not sure about the newer models but I think they are like my older Civic. Both fans come on with A/C. Both come on when idling & they cycle on & off as needed. My 98 Jeep GC the fan comes on HIGH with A/C on.