Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pumping gas peddle to get car started

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Default Pumping gas peddle to get car started

Hey everyone Im having an issue with my 96 civic when I go to start my car it turns over very strong but sometimes I need to press the gas peddle to get the thing going (especially when its cold outside). The car runs very good once its going (sometimes theres a lower than normal idle). First thing, is that my friend ran his OBII on my car and my Cel is on with one code being an intake air sensor temperature high and the other code is a fuel/air mixture ratio issue. I've just replaced the fuel filter and air filter along with cleaning out the intake and replacing a small hose that was connected to it. I was wondering what could be causing my car to "bog" so to speak when Im starting it up. I can hear the fuel pump priming so I dont think its that or my injectors. My haynes manual doesnt exactly help me considering I have an after market cold air intake with a plug connected to it which im assuming is the IAT. Ive been told by several friends that that plug doesnt need to connect to the intake pipe and was reading a few informative things online saying the IAT should be nearest the intake manifold as possible to get an accurate reading. Does anyone think they could help me locate the original IAT socket and should I buy a new IAT sensor? Thank You

Last edited by MuffinMan21; 09-23-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check whether the IAT sensor connector is loose or corroded and whether the IAT sensor wires are broken or damaged.

What specific air/fuel ratio CEL code is being thrown?

Clear the codes from the ECU and determine which CEL codes repeat before extensive troubleshooting.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 AM

I cleared the check engine code after replacing the Iat/Maf sensor and it hasnt come on after 40 miles. I just went to start her up an hour ago and I had to give it some gas once again. The engine runs for about 1-3 seconds and sputters then stalls, after turning it over 3 times and pumping the gas pedal it starts up runs fine. Im worried that once it gets too cold it simply wont start up. Any suggestions Ronj as to what might be causing the delayed startup?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

We commonly refer to the "gas pedal"; however, this pedal actually controls the position of the throttle plate, that is air intake, rather than fuel delivery.

First impression:
I think you may have a problem with fuel pressure. I would recommend that you measure the fuel pressure as the fuel pump may be faulty.

Also inspect the spark plugs (gap and wear) and plug wires (Ohm measurements), as well as the distributor cap and rotor (corrosion and wear).

Also check for a clogged air filter.

Last edited by RonJ; 09-25-2008 at 12:54 PM.