Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

prob with 95 dx overheating...WTF

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: prob with 95 dx overheating...WTF

You shouldn't get white smoke at all!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Impreza WRX

You shouldn't get white smoke at all!
hmm now im wandering because i used to own a 240 that blew white smoke accasionally but i was always told that was normal and it ran like a champ till i sold it to build my civic and my tiburon. could it be my head gasket? or should i justgo ahead and change all my belts and water pump

Old 11-05-2007, 05:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

No that smoke is never normal. Your engine is blown. It only takes one overheat to do it.

If you take the radiator cap off with the engine cold and start it and find a bunch of "air" (actually exhaust gas) bubbles out, that means there is a leak inside the engine. The gas displaces the water in the system and causes it to overheat.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

The engine is not blown. Do not listen to that. I had the exact same problem with my D series honda. You have a leaky headgaset, maybe even a cracked block. You need to remove the head, scrape off the nasty old gasket, get the head cut at a machine shop, so it will bond to the block perfectly.....put an OEM honda headgasket on, and you should be good to go. If you can not do this labor, it is very $ to get done, because it takes awhile. If you are interested in doing a motor swap, this would probably be the best time to do so. A new D series engine can be purchased for under $1,000. If youre going to do a motor swap, just keep driving it and adding coolant until the car stops running......if youre going to try and replace the gasket, do it asap, because the damage gets worse as you go on. Another tip, if you do the headgasket yourself, make sure you put a new T belt and water pump in there too, this way you get it all done at once.....ONLY USE OEM T BELT AND WATER PUMP! -Pete

Old 11-05-2007, 12:03 PM

I agree with Pete, one of the easiest head jobs ever,

Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

+1 on the head gasket! Mine went out too.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

well i didnt wanna read all the replies but how bout replacing the fan switch, dunno if you mentioned if your fan was working or not but i had that happen to me and it pissed me off cuz i was haveing to pull over every where to refill on water radiator fluid. my honda had an evap valve and it spewd everything out when it over heated.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM

if there is no air trapped in the cooling system garanteed the head gasket is blown

Old 11-05-2007, 06:51 PM

well she deff is losing mad coolant no air in system that i noticed but it goes through coolant like a highschool kid goes through clearasil. i just ordered my timing belt waterpump package and a new head gasket. its just oing to suck having that downtime on he honda cuz my fiancedrives it everyday to work and i need my tiburon for shcool and work myself. plus the clutch on my tiburon is way to aggressive and i know it will just **** her off.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:11 PM

it just kinda sucks cuz we are saving up for the b18c5 right now but that wont be till like spring/summer. we need to do the shocks and springs and i have to pay $1500 in tint violations and tickets for not wearing my seatbelt. i guess the tiburon is going on the back burner after i pay my tuition. REMEBER KIDS DO WELL IN SCHOOL SO YOU CAN GET A SCHOLORSHIP AND COLLEGE WILL BE FREE

Quick Reply: prob with 95 dx overheating...WTF