Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Primary INJECTOR stuck OPEN? Is this common?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Primary INJECTOR stuck OPEN? Is this common?

ORIGINAL: cdblack1990
...but then it starts to slowly lose power. I didn't get a 1/4 mile and I could barely keep it running. Oh, and another thing, I lost vacuum on my brake booster. I still had vacuum but it was like it was too low or something and I had to really push hard to get the car to stop. I looked for loose hoses, etc., but found none.
Considering the loss of brake booster function, I think you should check for a major vacuum leak. For example, perhaps both the brake booster and check valve have failed, leading to systemic reduction in vacuum. The picture shows how to test the check valve.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Just take the hose off at the check valve and plug the end that leads to the manifold, then try the engine. If you drive like that of course it will be hard to stop, so it would be best not to.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I put the Civic work on hold for a few days. It was about 16 degrees outside this morning so I think maybe it can wait. [sm=headbang.gif]

Yeah, I plugged up the vacuum hose to the booster, but it didn't make any difference. I am going to try to get the timing right, re-hook up the catalytic converter (I cut the bolts) and disconnect the injectors and try to start the engine with starter fluid.

I'm also out of money at this point so buying parts to diagnose problems is on hold for now.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cdblack1990
I am going to try to get the timing right...
The picture shows how to set the timing.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 PM

A happy ending! The timing belt was off by two teeth. It must have jumped when I test drove it the first time. I got it straight, put it all back together, changed the oil (which by now was thoroughly soaked with gas) and now it is running. But not without lingering effects.

After warm up and at idle, the RPM's keep rising and falling. No CEL, and I don't know what is causing it. Any ideas??

Dave B.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you haven't already, put a NEW timing belt on before you do anything else. When a belt skips teeth, that means it is about done. And skipping puts a lot of strain on the teeth, which is how they fail-- the teeth strip off.

The first thing to try with an unsteady idle is take the IACV off and clean it.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:51 AM

Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks. On the timing belt, I know I should change it. But it actually looks in pretty good shape. I am not sure why it skipped. But the car sat for several months before I got the tranny fixed so I think the cam must have stuck or something. I don't know. But I have put 1,000 miles on the car since and it has been doing fine.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Chubby Chaser

ORIGINAL: Type RB

On many other makes and models (mostly older generations and American cars), the crank position sensor is on the bell housing with the pick-up being on the flywheel. I don't have a repair manual for a 90 model (mine's a '95), but you might check to see if that's where the CPS lives.

Since it's an older car, could it be sinceyou changed the flywheel, this is no longer functioning properly (pick-up in a different place, or missingbecause of anon-injected donor vehicle, etc.)?

Disregard if I'm off-base here.

As far as the brake booster issue goes - I'd say get the car running first... fix one thing at a time. If it was working before the tranny swap, and now it's not and the engine's having issues, the engine problems areprobably taking the booster's vacuum away. Once the engine's squared away, the brake booster quite likely may not even be an issue anymore.

i know problem has been solved but just for info 88-91 (dual point) civics dont have a cps they are not mpfi. 88-95 mpfi civics have their cps located in the distributor.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

Cool - thanks for the info... I wasn't sure, and didn't want to get dogpiled by any admins thinking I'm a dumbass, or anything.

FYI - lots of other vehicles with TBI (Chevy's and other GMs, along with early '90s Jeeps - Howell TBI) have CPS's even though they're not MPI systems.

Thanks for taking the time to 'splain it, though.