Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power streering fluid question????

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
HCF Member
Question Power streering fluid question????

On a 1990 Civic The power steering cylinder is leaking. The Owners Manual calls for only HONDA POWER STEERING FLUID. The use of AFT will damage system.
The problem is I'm over hundred miles away from a Honda dealer. Can anyone tell me if they have used anything else????
I'm in a real bind NEED HELP.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

I have put in Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak on my 93 Accord more than two years ago. One bottle was put in over 6 months to a year, I don't remember all that well any more. I haven't bought any PS fluid since.

Before I used it, I had called Lucas and the tech rep said the product is compatible with Honda, even though it does not say so on the bottle. You can call them to confirm compatibility yourself before you take my word.

I remember seeing a bottle of power steering fluid at my local auto parts store, that said Honda compatible or words in that effect. You could call your local parts store and find out.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

Hey, Thanks a bunch for your info. I thought of Lucas but I'm out of it & the only parts house in town was closed by the time I discovered the leak. I'll take your work for it on the Lucas, most products like Lucas & Power Punch with good reps will mix with about anything I have found.
My wife works at different towns during the week so she was gone two days & when she came home tonight I saw the oil trail. The P/S was low but not out, or even close. She has to be gone tomorrow so she'll just drive our Blazer.
Upon looking at a Rack & Pinion diagram on autozone.com I see a return hose that is right by the leak. But I have to put the car up on ramps to see where it is really leaking from. So I hope it is a return hose & not a Rack & pinion unit. A unit this old isn't really worth trying to rebuild I'm sure it is cheaper to buy a complete unit. I see Autozone has one for $187.00.
Again thanks.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

Is there a Super Wal-Mart that is open 24/7? I am sure they have PS fluid that works on a Honda or Lucas products.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You could take the belt off until you fix the leak, the car will drive OK without power steering.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

I got fluid today Napa carries it for Honda, Acura. What the problem is the rack & pinion bellows or boots (your choice) has a pin hole in it. It appears fluid passes in & out of the bellows. There is a 1/4" hose that comes off it. When I pulled the bellow away from the rack & pinion & removed the hose I had the wife start it & turn the wheel & fluid came out the hose & there was suction going the other way. So it appears fluid stays in these bellows. A hole in them causes a loss in fluid. What I did for now is turned the bellow so the pin hole is on the top. It appears that the bellow holds fluid only on the bottom 1/4 if that. I will order a new bellow soon. Rockauto.com has the best price I have found for these parts. AutoZone wants $31 set for the Bellow RockAuto $10 ea.
If anyone has any experience with this or has any suggestions, comments or advice PLEASE CHIME IN. I can use all the help you guys will give me.
THANKS GUYS.

Last edited by 90 Civic; 11-05-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There's an inner seal on the rod. The bellows is just to keep dust out. If you have fluid in the bellows, that means the inner seal is bad.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

Ok, What is the fluid that is in the small hose that connects to the bellows? When you turn the wheel fluid travels in that hose. Non of what I'm seeing makes much sense to me. How do you change out the seal? Do I have to remove the whole unit? Why now that the bellow isn't leaking the P/S Fluid is not going down in the reservoir?
I know a lot of questions but I have little experience with the Honda's & Rack & Pinion. When I retired they had only been out a few years on American cars. ie Ford.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:09 AM
HCF Member

The Accord I had mentioned had fluid present in the area, I think you are seeing fluid on your car, in side a bellow of R & P. Unless the rate of your leak is not at alarming rate, I will give Lucas a chance. It beats the cost of replacement R & P and getting dirty working on the car.

I would keep the pin hole facing down so it would not retain moisture/water inside the bellow.

Those 1/4" hoses are for speed sensing device I think. I remember seeing those hoses connected to transmission on the Accord. I could be wrong, though.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:27 AM
HCF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by maachan513
The Accord I had mentioned had fluid present in the area, I think you are seeing fluid on your car, in side a bellow of R & P. Unless the rate of your leak is not at alarming rate, I will give Lucas a chance. It beats the cost of replacement R & P and getting dirty working on the car.

I would keep the pin hole facing down so it would not retain moisture/water inside the bellow.

Those 1/4" hoses are for speed sensing device I think. I remember seeing those hoses connected to transmission on the Accord. I could be wrong, though.
That sounds good. Yea the R&P isn't cheap & it looks like tight mess to get to for this crippled up old man. I had a heck of a time even getting under it on ramps. It looks like once I start R&R parts the tie rod ends should be replaced etc. I think I will get the Lucas Fix & drive it. Just add the Lucas as needed. Then if be I'll take it to the shop that does some work for me & let them screw with it.
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your help. I'm getting a schooling on these little cars. Today I have to crawl under my Jeep GC & change the transfer case oil. At least I can get under that without ramps. But if you don't hear from me you know I'm still under it because I can't get this old wore out body up again. Ha Ha.
Thanks again