Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

power loss? timing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Default power loss? timing issue?

first post, hoping someone can give me good advice.

I have a 96 civic ex and just did a jdm engine swap. I have 2 issues. First, I have an error code p1337(crankshaft flucuation sensor) and i'm wondering how serious that is? i got an estimate of $300 to fix it and don't really have the money right now.
Second issue is what I really want an answer for. After the engine swap I seem to have less power than before; that is, all the way up until 6000 rpm at which point it seems to have a serious power boost. Why am I lacking power between 0 and 6000 rpm? could that have anything to do with my flucuation sensor? or timing? btw, we set the timing by hand when we put the engine back together. thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: power loss? timing issue?

In addition to lining up the timing marks on the crank and cam pulleys, once you get the engine running it is necessary to set the spark timing with a timing light. The crankshaft sensor is down near the crank pulley under the timing cover and it is easy to damage the sensor or its wire when working on the timing belt.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 PM

Question for mk378, Wouldn't the idle fluctuate if thecrankshaft sensor was damaged?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 PM

don't know about the idle fluctuating, but i do know i get full power as soon as i hit 6000 rpm. what's that all about? vtec issue perhaps? I'm gonna put new plugs in(ngk g-power) as well as get the timing done with a timing light cause it needs to be done anyway.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The crankshaft speed fluctuation (CKF) sensor functions to detect engine misfiring:

Name:  picture_1102.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  62.5 KB

Your CEL code indicates that the CKF sensor is not working at all. Therefore, if your engine were misfiring, the sensor system could not detect the problem. The lack of function from the CKF sensor itself wound not cause the problem you are having. Instead, it seems more likely that your ignition timing is off, but the engine is not throwing a misfire code due to the bad CKF sensor. By the way, check whether the CKF sensor connector inadvertently was not connected.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 AM

good stuff guys, i definitely appreciate all your input. I just came across this page though and maybe this is my problem...

http://technet.ff-squad.com/ckftrick.htm

especially read the 3rd paragraph in the synopsis....seems that would apply to me being that i installed jdm engine and kept my ecu.

what do you guys think? and should i try that trick to fix it?

Old 06-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Oh, you don't have a CKF sensor installed in the engine. I'm not sure why the lack of a CKF sensor would cause engine performance problems, but the fix described at the link seems both appropriate and legitimate.

If the engine still runs poorly after doing the CKF to CKP trick, then check the ignition timing and whether the timing belt is off by a tooth.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:49 PM

ok i think i really screwed myself. what i have is a jdm d15b 3-stage vtec. I used the y8 oil pressure switch which contains the vtec solenoid and tossed the one that came with the jdm 3-stage(along with the jdm intake manifold because it seemed like a hassle to wire all that crap up). the one i tossed had 2 solenoids for which one activated the vtec-e between 2500-6000 rpm and the other opens up at 6000 rpm. this explains why it feels weak between 2500-6000 rpm.
so my question is....should i be able to get hold of the 3-stage vtec controller, will my obd2a be capable of controlling it?

pleeeeeease help i can't find the answers anywhere!!!

btw...the ckf fix worked, no more cel.