Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible ECT Sensor Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Exclamation Possible ECT Sensor Issues?

Hello everyone

I have a 2002 Honda Civic Ex. Let me start by saying that I have never ever had over heating problems in the past with this car and I’ve driven from California to New Jersey (3000+ miles) in 2.5 days.

Here's is the issue I need your knowledge on. This morning while driving barely 2 miles from my home the thermostat was steadily climbing. (Normally it sits consistently just below the half way point) This morning was different and it actually hit the red line and then dropped back down below the half way point again and started to climb again.

I checked the radiator and sure enough it needed fluid so after adding fluid to this and the over flow I went on my way. This did not fix the issue. It did however stop it from hitting the red line but the gauge still fluctuated constantly enough for me to try the heater on full blast to try and keep it steady. My heater normally beyond amazing was not hot hot and more of a nuke warm (Which I’m thinking has something to do with the computer of my car thinking the temperature outside is different than it is).

Also after I made it to my destination of work I popped the hood again to take a look at the hoses (Making sure there was no obvious issues) and to see if my fans were kicking on or not. At that time they were not on and I hadn't heard them kick on while driving/idling in drive and in neutral/park.

At this point I am seeking your advice and knowledge to find out if indeed this is an ETC sensor issue and I need to replace this or if there could be some other issue. (Might I add that yesterday it drove fine and the heater was amazing like normal, engine temp also was at the normal hold of just under the half way mark). Please let me know what you think.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I think those have a sensor on the bottom of the radiator that turns the fans on. It's based on radiator temperature not engine temperature. Inadequate heater performance even though the engine is hot means that the system is not completely full. With the car parked on level ground, run the engine with the radiator cap off and the heater on hot to clear air out of the system. Add coolant as necessary to keep the radiator completely full.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:38 PM
HCF Member

all the the signs from the temp gauge resemble the start of a failing headgasket..